Trying to figure out how to find and edit this rogue transaction, any thoughts? RRS feed

• Question

• Money says i have 1 transaction for 250.00, that doesn't have an assigned category, I click on 'assign category' and a pop up says "you have no transactions for the item you selected". It obviously thinks there is an unassigned item, but i cannot find it, any help?
    Wednesday, January 2, 2019 4:48 PM

All replies

• In Money 2000 International English the procedure would be:

Tools / Find and Replace / dot 'Advanced search' / Next / Category / Clear all / then tick 'Include unassigned income' and tick 'Include unassigned expense' / Next                 and you should see all transactions where no category was assigned.

Teabag 

Wednesday, January 2, 2019 7:26 PM
  • Teabag's advice, as usual is good.  From my notes on

“Unassigned” items appear in a report but, when the amount is double-clicked, there are no transactions."

• This happens if there is a split that has a different total from the transaction total. Yes, this can happen! Be careful! These are hard to find! This is a particular risk when reviewing downloaded transactions. Money warns about an existing split that it has filled in from a prior month’s transaction, but if you proceed without fixing the split, then the transaction will have the correct amount (e.g. $49.95) but the split will have the split amounts from a previous transaction (e.g. $24.95 and $87.50). Then, in reports, the split amounts show up as “Unassigned”. Since the split amounts are not part of a transaction, they are not found when the “Unassigned” amount is double-clicked to see the corresponding transactions. One way to ferret these out is to pin down the date range and then look at all the transactions for all accounts in that date range. Start with the accounts with downloaded transactions since they are the most likely to be the problem.

• This can also happen if an investment account has a “Buy” transaction and the Payee field is blank. These are also hard to find because the Payee field only shows up when viewing the “Buy” transaction in the Cash Account, - not in the Investment Account where the transaction is usually entered. Search on the amount to track it down. If there are multiple cases, then the search on the total won’t be very useful. Try pinning it down by doing a report that shows transaction by month.

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Friday, January 4, 2019 3:38 AM
    Friday, January 4, 2019 2:04 AM
  • Thank you Bill!!  This had irritated me a bit in the past, and I had no idea how to track it down, but the split explanation is exactly what has been my issue!  Some were easy to find - payroll taxes changed a bit and they hadn't been corrected.  Others trickier - an expense had an item too high, so it showed up in income.  Basically I pinned the transaction down to a week, and usually could find the culprit.  Once I went day by day to figure out which day it happened, and again was able to track it down. 

This was a minor inconvenience to me, barely worth mentioning, but it still makes me so happy to be able to clear out two lines!

Friday, January 4, 2019 3:33 AM