Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a Dell server I'm using for my WHS. When I had 2 hard drives the hard disk light would rarely come on. Now that I have a 3rd hard drive and did a fresh install of WHS I get a lot of disk activity. Nothing is on the server but what came off of the WHS install DVD. Why is thee so much disk activity when before I rarely had it (even with files on it)? Thanks
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:27 PM

Answers

• jshoemaker21 said:

Should I have the system volume on the larger or smaller disk?

I would tend to the smaller disk, since with Power Pack 1 the data partition on this disk is no longer used as landing zone and data is stored there only, if there is not enough space on the other disks. Since the November update for WHS the free space also not longer calculated against the selected files for a copy from Vista to shared folders on server.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:56 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    your fresh install does not include the updates, like Power Pack 1, which changed some behaviors of Windows Home Server so, that the disk activity is reduced.
    Please run Windows Update from the console as often, as you still get new updates offered.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:51 PM
  • I have all of the updates installed including power pack one. Sorry I forgot to mention that and still have the same problem.
    Friday, January 9, 2009 10:55 PM
  • Hi,
    temporary there can be also activities for services like Windows Search (building up the Index) or Virus scanner (if you have one installed on your WHS) which can cause more or less long disk activity (depends from the amount of data and the performance of the system).
    You could also log in and try to take a look into the event log, if there are any issues noted pointing to the source of the activity.
    Did you already reboot the server?
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:13 AM
  • I updated and rebooted two days ago and the activity will not stop. I am a Windows Server 2003 admin I se nothing out of the ordinary in the event log.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:38 AM
  • I also did not install or put any files on it except the WHS updates.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:39 AM
  • How much memory does your server have? If it is near the bare minimum of 512 MB, it may be also memory swapping activities causing the disk LED very often to go on, since some of the memory is used also for caching. Do you have a LED for each disk visible or only the controller LED?
    Nest greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:53 AM
  • I have well over 512MB and I only have one HD light.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 4:23 PM
  • Well, I am out of ideas.
    What I would test, since no data is on the server yet, is to remove the data drives from the pool and see, if the behavior changes without one or both data disks.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:32 PM
  • Oh just like server 2003 uninitilize them? But do it WHS way?
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:42 PM
  • Yes, remove them via console.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:51 PM
  • I removed 1- 250GB drive from the storage pool but disk activity is still high... How often should I be seeing disk activity with nothing on the server but updates? Maybe I should give it some to since I removed a disk from the pool? Now the disk is still connected, does that matter?
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 5:51 PM
  • On my Scaleo the LED flickers one time in 5 to 10 seconds, on the HyperV based test machine about all 3 to 5 seconds.
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:00 PM
  • Mines going about every second.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:22 PM
  • And thats with nothing but updates. No files...
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:23 PM
  • Could it have something to do with drivers eventually?
    Olaf
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Nothing with the drivers...I disabled all the hard drives but my newest one and thats the one that is reading and writing so much. It is a 750GB drive with 32MB cache.... Any ideas?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 2:04 AM
  • Hi,
    drivers <> drives.
    Is it the system drive or a data volume?

I would attempt another start from the scratch - with only the system drive.
    After applying all updates - if the activity still is fine - connect the other drives one by one and verify the activity again.
    If it starts to go up only with the new drive attached - it might be something with the drive itself - but this is only speculation (and I am out of ideas now).

Olaf
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 9:25 AM
  • I only have one brand new 750GB drive inthere. I installed WHS with all 3 to start. The others are only 250GB so I definatley want the 750GB in. Currently the 750GB drive is the SYSVOL.
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 12:09 PM
  • WHat I can do is install it with just the 750GB drive in and then add the other 2- 250GB drives to the pool. WOuld this make any difference since I already have the 2 drives out of the pool?
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Hi,
    Would this make any difference since I already have the 2 drives out of the pool?
    I really don't know, to be honest. All further attempts sound somewhat esoteric - with some luck we get a result - or not.
    May also be something like cache handling of the drive (or the software), i.e. drive permanently trying to flush the cache. (Check the settings of the disk in Device manager on the Policies tab of the disk properties.)
    Maybe also monitoring with diskmon could give some results, if it is an application trying to access the disk all the time.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:04 PM
  • I get so much activity both read and rwrite on the large drive. I don't know where from though....
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 12:27 AM
  • The above response is in regard to watching diskmon.
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:16 AM
  • Should I have the system volume on the larger or smaller disk?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:51 PM
  • jshoemaker21 said:

Should I have the system volume on the larger or smaller disk?

I would tend to the smaller disk, since with Power Pack 1 the data partition on this disk is no longer used as landing zone and data is stored there only, if there is not enough space on the other disks. Since the November update for WHS the free space also not longer calculated against the selected files for a copy from Vista to shared folders on server.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:56 PM
  • What exactly do you mean?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:58 PM
  • I was reading posts some more and I found someone else who said the larger. WHat did you mean before?
    Friday, January 16, 2009 1:44 AM
  • jshoemaker21 said:

What exactly do you mean?

Before Power Pack 1 and even before the November update for Windows Home Server (KB957825) it was kind of important, how many space was on drive D: (which is the DATA partition on the primary disk). Now this doesn't matter any more and in a multi disk scenario the smaller disk would even be the better choice, since the data volume on the primary disk will be the last volume used for storing data.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:58 AM