SQL Server 2008 exam 70-433 RRS feed

• Question

• I am thinking of taking exam 70-433 (Database Development) as a start to learning SQL Server and looking at it from this particular angle. I am guessing that this is the correct first exam to take for Database Development and would like to move over from what I have been doing in Access, but with more emphasis on designing and maintaining a database.

I only have the free edition of SQL Server (SQL Server 2008 R2 - SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU). Is this ok for this exam or do I need a full version?

Has anyone used this book with success?:

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-433):
    Microsoft SQL Server 2008–
    Database Development
    ISBN: 9780735626393

Pass rates for the exams?

Thanks

Sunday, May 22, 2011 1:23 PM

Answers

• The free version should be fine.

I have used this book.  It covers what's in the exam.  If you've never used SQL Server before or you'd only used it for a short period of time, this book will probably not help you pass the exam.  You will need at least 6-12 months of experience to pass the exam.

What do you mean by pass rates?

Jeff Wharton MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:22 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:09 AM

All replies

• The free version should be fine.

I have used this book.  It covers what's in the exam.  If you've never used SQL Server before or you'd only used it for a short period of time, this book will probably not help you pass the exam.  You will need at least 6-12 months of experience to pass the exam.

What do you mean by pass rates?

Jeff Wharton MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA, MCSD, MCAD
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:22 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2011 2:09 AM
  • OK - that's very useful feedback. I didn't realise that I would need some extensive experience before passing the exam. At the moment, I'm just going through a Dummies book to get a feel of things.

In terms of pass rates, I was just looking at the percentages of people that passed the exam.

Based on the fact that I'm a relative newcomer to SQL Server and I'm not using this in my work, and may not use it unless I get some experience from a new job, do you have any other suggestions, or are there alternative exams?

Monday, May 23, 2011 6:09 AM