Validation locks my computer RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to use the Windows Geniune Advantage tool  (in IE or Firefox or Opera) it locks my computer.  I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on.  I downloaded the tool and it works and says my copy is good.  I will post it below.  I would really like to be able to download some software but I can't because I can't freaking validate.  Any help would be great.  Thanks.

Diagnostic Report (1.5.0540.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Genuine Validation Status: Genuine
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-7XB27-J87Q4-4V4HY
    Windows Product Key Hash: BRSGP/UhXyXm7NCWjg7xmgRlIn8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2211906-00228
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: 5NBPGGB
    ID: 3c5f6efd-ae97-4da8-91e4-d9c72646fcd9
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: Yes
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.530.0
    Signature Type: Microsoft
    Validation Diagnostic: 16E0B333-138-80004005_E2AD56EA-341-d005_E2AD56EA-342-57_16E0B333-57-80004005

System Scan Data-->
    Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A
    Cache refresh Interval: N/A
    Extended notification delay(non-genuine): N/A
    Extended notification delay(un-activated): N/A
    All disabled: N/A
    Reminder reduced: N/A
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A
    Signatue Type: N/A

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 100
    Office Diagnostics:

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Prompt
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>3c5f6efd-ae97-4da8-91e4-d9c72646fcd9</UGUID><Version>1.5.0540.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4V4HY</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2211906-00228</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-2211563972-3766716897-943115930</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>alienware</Manufacturer><Model>alienware</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1002</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20041126000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>alienware,alienware,alienware,alienware</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>25EE3C4701844076</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone></MachineData>      <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0050048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office XP Professional</Name><Ver>10</Ver><Val>990CCC6DA9E40C0</Val><Hash>qyvUDlNHW34hXajrgxyRk/keZvA=</Hash><Pid>54186-760-1603524-17896</Pid></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:08 PM

Answers

• I would highly suggest submitting a Windows XP support request at www.support.microsoft.com - the issue seemingly is running .DLL's on your machine (which could be a cryptography error?) and ActiveX controls. Unfortunately, its out of the capabilities of the forum and should definitely be handled one-on-one with a technical support agent who can pinpoint the problem, whether it is WGA, ACtiveX, or Cryptography related.

I'm sorry for the issues you're seeing, but the technical capabilities of the forum is quite limited without asking for more intimate information that should be carried out in an email support request directly.

-phil

Thursday, August 3, 2006 2:15 AM

All replies

• Benji,

You have an older version of the software.

Could you give http://www.microsoft.com/genuine a try? Go to that site, then click validate. If that does not work, Try going to the latest updated file: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=69498

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:12 PM
  • What happens when you go to www.microsoft.com/genuine/diag?

-phil

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:27 PM
  • The problem occurs whe  I use the first link.  I do not have the notification software installed on my system.  I'm only trying it through the website.

What am I downloading with the second link?
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:44 PM
  • When I use the diagnostic tool it also hangs the system.  It gets to the last step then freezes.  Same problem in Firefox as well (version 1.5.0.5), although in firefox I never actually see anything rendered on the test page, it simply freezes during the testing
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:46 PM
  • The second link is to download the updated version of WGA Notifications, though not totally necessary.

I do think there may be issues running ActiveX controls on your machine, outside of WGA Validation. Have you tried installing any other ActiveX controls or browser-addons (such as Flash or Shockwave)? Do those fail?

-phil

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:48 PM
  • Benji,

You are downloading the latest version of the WGA software. does the freezing involve any other programs?

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:50 PM
  • I have flash installed.  I just updated it with no problems.  If this problem only happened in IE then I might agree with you, but since the same problem also happens in FireFox I would say that this is a MS screwup.
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:51 PM
  • By WGA software are you referring to the Notification program that MS continually tries to sneak onto my computer by marking it as a critical update and then it phones home when I reboot and doesn't mention this anywhere?

As far as the freezing is concered it locks my entire computer eventually.  It doesn't matter if I have nothing else open.  The real fun part is that it doesn't max out my processor.  It sits there idle, but the OS becomes unresponsive and the only way to reboot is to actually use the power button to power down and back up.

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 5:54 PM
  •  Benji S wrote:

By WGA software are you referring to the Notification program that MS continually tries to sneak onto my computer by marking it as a critical update and then it phones home when I reboot and doesn't mention this anywhere?

That feature has thus been removed with the latest update.

Are you running any customized security settings outside of "Admin" or "power user" etc?
    Tuesday, August 1, 2006 9:44 PM
  •  Benji S wrote:

By WGA software are you referring to the Notification program that MS continually tries to sneak onto my computer by marking it as a critical update and then it phones home when I reboot and doesn't mention this anywhere?

This feature has thus been removed int he newest update.

I'm curious if you have any special permissions and security settings on your machine that is preventing ActiveX from running?

Tuesday, August 1, 2006 9:50 PM
  • Which version are you using?
    Wednesday, August 2, 2006 11:01 PM
  • Yep, instead of every reboot it is just every couple of them.

No, no special security settings.  I'm running as an admin account (although not the administrator account, does that matter?).
    Thursday, August 3, 2006 12:09 AM
  • I don't have any special settings that I know of.  I'm running under an admin account, although I am not running under the administrator account.
    Thursday, August 3, 2006 12:10 AM
  • Which version of what?  I'm not using the WGA Notification (I refuse to knowingly download spyware onto my system if I can help it).  I'm only trying the validation through the website.
    Thursday, August 3, 2006 12:11 AM
  •  Benji S wrote:
    Which version of what?  I'm not using the WGA Notification (I refuse to knowingly download spyware onto my system if I can help it).  I'm only trying the validation through the website.

The program is not spyware.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 2:14 AM
  • I would highly suggest submitting a Windows XP support request at www.support.microsoft.com - the issue seemingly is running .DLL's on your machine (which could be a cryptography error?) and ActiveX controls. Unfortunately, its out of the capabilities of the forum and should definitely be handled one-on-one with a technical support agent who can pinpoint the problem, whether it is WGA, ACtiveX, or Cryptography related.

I'm sorry for the issues you're seeing, but the technical capabilities of the forum is quite limited without asking for more intimate information that should be carried out in an email support request directly.

-phil

Thursday, August 3, 2006 2:15 AM