none
Lack of FIREWIRE Audio Support? Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/1695/captureuw6.png

As you can see, the firewire seems to be fine and the drivers are standard ASIO firewire drivers from Mackie Audio (one of the top 3 in the United States) and was somewhat surprised that not only does it NOT work, I receive NO NOTIFICATION at all when I plug in the firewire device with Windows 7.

Any ideas? Am hoping we can get this solved as W7 seems much faster and some of us went to MAC waiting for 1st gen of Vista drivers (took almost 1 year) and now that it looks promosing for W7, was hoping the standard Vista drivers would work.

Shouldn't we have received a NEW HARDWARE found notification when device attached?

Please advise.

Thank you.
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 8:25 AM

Answers

• Solved

Works fine with Vista driver. Thought as much as it took Mackie 1 year, they are in the top 5 in the USA, and ASIO is a standard protocol therefore I was very surprised that it didn't work - while I know there are great things for audio coming in W7 and is a tad different, I thought surely they wouldn't write them from the ground up.

Turns out that W7 defaulted to outs 7 and 8 instead of 1 and 2 in control panel - which I didn't think to check as the ASIO panel for Mackie kept saying NO COMPATIBLE HARDWARE found, however, in W7 control panel, W7 was smart enough to load and show it - no more NEW HARDWARE found - sort of like Apple OSX, it just happens. Similar to installing windows 7. Remember how many times you were warned you were going to FORMAT? Not the case anymore, you select and hit complete and that's it - 

Anyway, for those interested in new stuff for WINDOWS 7 here is an article -

What's new for audio in Windows 7? | Digital Noise: Music and Tech - CNET News

FWIW, GPUGPU is also expected to be really great. Should have benchmarked my system with Sandra before installing - even though I know it doesn't have a small footprint (yet installs faster than XP/VISTA), it does respond VERY VERY fast. Very liquid. Using macs for the past several years, I think MS might have a hit this time around, again, very smooth feeling compared to Vista and on the exact same hardware.

Need rest - not enough sleep last night, been here since early AM Pacific, never d/l a key (hats off to Steve M ? ) for the key - hope to help someone else get one soon. 

64 keys work for 32 bit version.

Only complaint is GOOGLE CHROME won't write email in windows live, strange.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:38 AM
  • Interesting stuff but nothing for this forum ...

Try asking in this forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whatforum/threads/

where you should post this question to.

The present forum isn't the place as it is only for Bug reports *on the forum software*
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:17 PM

All replies

• Solved

Works fine with Vista driver. Thought as much as it took Mackie 1 year, they are in the top 5 in the USA, and ASIO is a standard protocol therefore I was very surprised that it didn't work - while I know there are great things for audio coming in W7 and is a tad different, I thought surely they wouldn't write them from the ground up.

Turns out that W7 defaulted to outs 7 and 8 instead of 1 and 2 in control panel - which I didn't think to check as the ASIO panel for Mackie kept saying NO COMPATIBLE HARDWARE found, however, in W7 control panel, W7 was smart enough to load and show it - no more NEW HARDWARE found - sort of like Apple OSX, it just happens. Similar to installing windows 7. Remember how many times you were warned you were going to FORMAT? Not the case anymore, you select and hit complete and that's it - 

Anyway, for those interested in new stuff for WINDOWS 7 here is an article -

What's new for audio in Windows 7? | Digital Noise: Music and Tech - CNET News

FWIW, GPUGPU is also expected to be really great. Should have benchmarked my system with Sandra before installing - even though I know it doesn't have a small footprint (yet installs faster than XP/VISTA), it does respond VERY VERY fast. Very liquid. Using macs for the past several years, I think MS might have a hit this time around, again, very smooth feeling compared to Vista and on the exact same hardware.

Need rest - not enough sleep last night, been here since early AM Pacific, never d/l a key (hats off to Steve M ? ) for the key - hope to help someone else get one soon. 

64 keys work for 32 bit version.

Only complaint is GOOGLE CHROME won't write email in windows live, strange.

Saturday, January 10, 2009 9:38 AM
  • Interesting stuff but nothing for this forum ...

Try asking in this forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whatforum/threads/

where you should post this question to.

The present forum isn't the place as it is only for Bug reports *on the forum software*
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:17 PM