remote access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi , for me it is a painful process . On my WHS I have installed in adds in software for HAI home automation . Therefore I could control lights and security remotely ( i.e. BlackBerry ) . Unfortunatelly sometimes I just can't connect . The massage I receive is "unable to connect to selected server " . It doesn' matter wether this home automation exist or not . Few times I unistalled and it was the same . I called tech support from HP and nothing , I called ISP if thay block any ports , nothing . The only thing I found was on event log view saying that was unable to connect to ip 127.0.0.1 because port 9030 was blocked . I have no idea where is the problem and how to fix it ( router , antivirus program or something else ) 
    Monday, May 24, 2010 2:03 AM

All replies

• I use remote access to my WHS all the time--both via the web UI, and using Remote Desktop.

My ISP does block port 80, so I need to use HTTPS to access the web UI.

I haven't tried lately with a mobile device--not sure how well the WHS ui does with that small screen--but that should be fixable.

You need to configure the router to forward traffic on port 80 and 443 to the WHS machine's IP address--which should be a fixed address, not dynamic.  TCP only is enough.

Do some testing from a machine you know has good web connectivity to see how it should work before you test using the mobile device.  And don’t test from inside your house, unless you can use an alternate Internet connection, or a neighbor's wifi--many routers won't handle this correctly.

If you are running an antivirus program which includes a firewall on the WHS server, you may need to open those ports in the firewall.

Test for this by attempting to connect to the WHS from another machine in the house.  If that fails, you have a problem on the WHS machine.

"robikus" wrote in message news:2d8f1dd7-6eab-4c7c-afcf-8581649088c3...
    Hi , for me it is a painful process . On my WHS I have installed in adds in software for HAI home automation . Therefore I could control lights and security remotely ( i.e. BlackBerry ) . Unfortunatelly sometimes I just can't connect . The massage I receive is "unable to connect to selected server " . It doesn' matter wether this home automation exist or not . Few times I unistalled and it was the same . I called tech support from HP and nothing , I called ISP if thay block any ports , nothing . The only thing I found was on event log view saying that was unable to connect to ip 127.0.0.1 because port 9030 was blocked . I have no idea where is the problem and how to fix it ( router , antivirus program or something else ) 

Bill Sanderson
    Monday, May 24, 2010 3:23 AM