none
Another Backup Stalls at 35% RRS feed

• Question

• I am running Windows Home Server and am encountering the backup stalling at 35% like many others.  The computer I am trying to backup is running Windows XP Home.  The WHS and Windows XP Home are both completely updated.  I have erased all the backups and reinstalled the WHS connector software to try and fix it to no avail.  I have run chkdsk on the XP home machine.  I have looked at the forums and not seen a definitive answer on this problem.  Just wondering what my next step should be.  Thanks.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 11:44 PM

Answers

• If it gets to 35% it probably got to the stage where it's actually sending data to the server. Most likely problems in this stage are network related errors (bad NIC, bad NIC drivers, NIC settings,both client and server side) or read errors on either side.

To fix network related errors you can try:

1. Set speed to a fixed value (for example 100BaseTx Full Duplex) for both client and server.

2. Change the NIC drivers to another (newer or older) version.

3. Try a different NIC

If it's file read error or related you will propably find useful info in the backup logs on your server. You can find them on your server in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs, named backup-mmddyy.log

Monday, June 30, 2008 4:26 AM

All replies

• If it gets to 35% it probably got to the stage where it's actually sending data to the server. Most likely problems in this stage are network related errors (bad NIC, bad NIC drivers, NIC settings,both client and server side) or read errors on either side.

To fix network related errors you can try:

1. Set speed to a fixed value (for example 100BaseTx Full Duplex) for both client and server.

2. Change the NIC drivers to another (newer or older) version.

3. Try a different NIC

If it's file read error or related you will propably find useful info in the backup logs on your server. You can find them on your server in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs, named backup-mmddyy.log

Monday, June 30, 2008 4:26 AM
  • It turns out I had changed the speed to a fixed value when I had some internet speed issues.  I had set it to 100BaseTx Full Duplex and I suspect that the WHS will not support it because the moment I switched back to automatic speed detection the whole thing worked perfectly.  Thanks so much.

Jim
    Monday, June 30, 2008 1:42 PM