none
What is initial (default) password for RDC access to WHS desktop??? RRS feed

• Question

• Had to do a "server recovery" on HP MediaSmart 475.  Am running Vista 64.  Am told must boot from a 32 bit machine to install old matching Connector software.  HOWEVER, if I can just get to the WHS desktop I won't have to use a 32 bit machine. I should be able to download the apps / upgrades / service packs & install from there. 

BUT - when I try to access the WHS Desktop using Windows Remote Desktop Connector I am prompted for a User name / Password.  Of course the UN/PW I had assigned the first time around is now wiped.  Originally, you set the passwords during the WHS Connector install.  But I can't do that w/o a 32-bit machine. (NOTE: using "Compatibility Mode" on my 64-bit machine is not a workable substitute.)

SO -- Is there any "default" or "generic" User name / Password that WHS (or the Server 2003 base) sets up when it re-initializes like I did? Or is there another work-around to get to the Server Desktop?

Surely there MUST be a way to get access to the desktop w/out installing the WHS connector software first!

All advice welcome,
    Thanks!
    Mickey
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 11:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    you have to install the connector software first - at least on a headless device without monitor.
    The initial password is blank - blank password = no Remote Desktop connection and also no other permitted network connection. So the connector software is the vehicle to establish the initial connection.
    I understand your problem with the 64 Bit machine, since I stumbled into the same situation. My workaround at that time was to use a virtual PC with Windows XP.
    If you don't have Windows XP ready, you can get images for a VPC also here.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:52 PM
    • Marked as answer by The Wob Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    you have to install the connector software first - at least on a headless device without monitor.
    The initial password is blank - blank password = no Remote Desktop connection and also no other permitted network connection. So the connector software is the vehicle to establish the initial connection.
    I understand your problem with the 64 Bit machine, since I stumbled into the same situation. My workaround at that time was to use a virtual PC with Windows XP.
    If you don't have Windows XP ready, you can get images for a VPC also here.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:50 PM
  • Until you have taken the HP MediaSmart Server through the "out of box experience" via a client PC you will be unable to log in using Remote Desktop. This is because part of the OOBE is to set a password on the Administrator account and configure sharing, remote desktop, etc. Until you've completed this step Remote Desktop is unavailable.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Unmarked as answer by The Wob Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 3:51 PM
  • Just a thought, but would it be possible to enable Remote Destop by going into Computer Management and selecting Manage Another Computer, and choosing the WHS box? From there you should be able to enable the Remote Desktop service. You may need to connect to the admin$ share first.

But this sort of annoyance is one reason why I steer well clear of the headless boxes. 

qts
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 9:01 PM
  • Hi Quentin,
    the idea will fail, because Remote Desktop access with a blank Administrator password will be rejected (which is default policy on the Windows Server products).
    Olaf
    Tuesday, February 10, 2009 10:50 PM
  • Yes! installing a VPC allowed me to get halfway through an install.  Excellent suggestion.  However, I have run into another issue that prevented me from getting all the way there.  It is so different that I am starting another thread.  Has to do with a mismatch between the Windows Installer version called by the Mfg CD and the WI version residing on the Win XP sp3 that I installed as the Virtual PC.

p.s. no other method got me this far.  But thanks to those of you who responded with other suggestions.

I am starting a thread called "Windows Installer Mis-match"
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 9:27 AM