Outlook link system filters - do they replace user filters or amend? RRS feed

• Question

• Despite extensive searching I cannot find a definitive answer on this. A user can have multiple user filters for (say) contacts and the contacts synced are the union of the filter - so a contact in any user filter will sync.

But do system filters override this so that user filters have no effect? Or are they also added to the union?

I've extensively reviewed the web and this forum but found no specific answer.

BTW this is CRM 2011 but I'd expect no change in 2013.

Thanks

Paul

Thursday, May 22, 2014 2:37 PM

Answers

• Got no answer so did a test and thought I would post the result here in case anyone else asks this question.

Steps as follows:

1. Created view in CRM: Contacts with surname (lastname) beginning with TESTA
    2. Made this an online system filter for for Outlook  using Sync Filters plugin in XRMToolbox.
    3. Also disabled user contact sync filter for user using XRMToolbox.
    4. Created contact with name Test1 TestA1 in CRM.
    5. Created another contact called Test2 Test Another.
    6. Started Outlook. Test1 TestA1 synced automatically to Outlook, Test2 Test Another did not – as not included in filter. This is as expected.
    7. As user, in Outlook CRM Options, created new contact sync filter to sync all contacts with firstname beginning with Test
    8. Synced. The Test2 record synced to Outlook.

This shows that the System Filters do not override the User filters. 

Pity as I have been asked if there is a way to do this - to prevent users sync all records to which they have access to Outlook. Sadly I cannot see a way of doing this. Comments welcome.

Paul

• Marked as answer by Paul at Clew Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:57 AM
    Tuesday, May 27, 2014 10:57 AM