Files missing after repairing missing C:\windows\system32\config\system RRS feed

• General discussion

• My sister's laptop crashed, having the message of "Corrupted or missing file C:\windows\system32\config\system".

I tried rebooting and repairing but nothing worked after using a combination of the solutions provided by a user at Microsoft Answers and C-Net.

First, it was the access denied after putting in "MD TMP". Then I input C:\CHKDSK /R, then it was repaired. After that was the adminstrator password. The next problem is that after completing this step,

"MD TEMP

COPY C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\SYSTEM.BAK

DELETE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

The laptop were functioning, the only catch that there were a few files that are now missing. My Flash needs re-installing. The configuration for my wireless connection, the icon I click to start-up the connection is now missing. I can't use my wireless broadband anymore.

I tried to create a connection through the Network Connections, but no option there. I tried inserting the Windows XP CD and create a small home network connection but it didn't work out. Rebooting the device manager, deleting the device was no good.

My wireless card adapter (I think) didn't show up at the Device Manager list. The device's name should be Acer Wireless LAN adapter or something like that.

Inserting the self-installer of my service provider's CD didn't work either since it only accept new users or registration.

Laptop model: Acer Extensa 2354NXCi

If there's any need of other information, please go ahead and ask.

Is there any chance that System Restore can do the trick?

Thanks.

[Edit] Just found out that I am unable to play any type of sound. The listed hardware under Sound, Video and Games are there but there is no option to enable it.

• Changed type JimR1Moderator Monday, July 5, 2010 4:38 PM Off topic. Not a One Care question.
    • Moved by JimR1Moderator Monday, July 5, 2010 4:41 PM Off topic. (From:Windows Live OneCare Update)
    • Edited by AmayaLim Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:32 AM Another problem added
    Monday, July 5, 2010 1:35 PM

All replies

• This forum is for the discussion of Windows Live One Care. If you need additional help Microsoft Answers is the correct forum - http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsxp

Jim

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh - Microsoft Security Essentials
    Monday, July 5, 2010 4:41 PM
  • I see. Thanks very much for moving the discussion to the right place. I thought I chose the correct forum but it seems that I am wrong.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 10:33 AM