Cannot find OneCare internet password RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to get a wireless internet connection on my laptop from this OneCare and it is indicating that there is a password needed to connect to it. I've tried to look for one on the main computer and i can't seem to find anything related to the password. I'm also sure i never even set a password for it and have tried every password that i normally use.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 4:20 PM

Answers

• If you allowed OneCare to configure wireless security on your router, the following would be the solution.

You can also choose to reset your router following the instructions for your specific router (typically a reset button on the router that needs to be held for 5 to 10 seconds), which resets the router to factory defaults. You will then need to configure the router and wireless security manually on the router and the PCs that will connect wirelessly. Your router manufacturer instructions will contain the details on how to do that. OneCare will complain if you leave the Wireless side of the router open and unsecured.

From the OneCare help files -
    (note that to see the key that OneCare configured for you, the steps to see that key need to performed on the PC that OneCare made the changes from. Other PCs in your Circle will not have this in the settings)

Add a computer or other device to a wireless network

You can add a computer or device to your wireless network either manually or by using the Add a PC wizard or manually.

Add a computer to a wireless network with the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare

If you used Windows Live OneCare to help secure a wireless network, you can automatically add another computer or device to the network.

• On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, open OneCare, and then click Change Settings.
    • On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    • On the Network connections tab, click the wireless network that you want to add the computer to, and then click Details.
    • Click Add a PC, and then follow the steps in the wizard.

Add a computer to a wireless network manually

For Windows XP:

• On the computer that you want to add, click Start, click Run, type ncpa.cpl, and then click OK.
    • Click the wireless network connection, and then click View available wireless networks.
    • From the list of available wireless networks, click the name of your wireless network, and then click Connect.
    • When you're prompted, type and confirm the network key for your router, and then click Connect.

For Windows Vista:

• On the computer that you want to add, click Start, click in the Start Search box, type ncpa.cpl, and then press ENTER.
    • From the list of available networks, right-click the name of your wireless network, and then click Connect/Disconnect.
    • Click the wireless network that you want to connect to, and then click Connect.
    • When you're prompted, type and confirm the network key for your router, and then click Connect.

Add a device to a wireless network manually

To add a device to a newly secured wireless network, follow the instructions in the manufacturer's manual for the device. If you need more help, contact the manufacturer of the device.

Note

You must enter the SSID and network key to add a device.

Find your network name and network key

To add a computer to a wireless network if you used the Add a PC wizard in Windows Live OneCare:

• On the computer that you used to help secure the wireless network, click Change Settings.
    • On Firewall tab, click Advanced settings.
    • On the Network connections tab, click your wireless network, and then click Details.
    • The SSID and network key appear in the Security Information area.

Note

Changing the security settings on the router will disconnect any computer or device that was previously connected to the router.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 5:21 PM