Fixit Beta Runs only under Administrator Login?? RRS feed

• Question

• Several days ago, I downloaded the Microsoft Fixit Beta program from:  http://fixitcenter.support.microsoft.com/Portal  I installed it on my PC (running Vista Home Premium) under an Administrator login, and it worked just fine.  Later I attempted to run it under a Standard User Login, and the Fixit Center menu window came up blank, so there was no way to select any of the 14 tests that normally show up there.  I then closed the Fixit program and restarted it with the Run as Administrator option.  This time the Fixit Center Window came up normally, with all 14 menu options.  At that point, selecting any menu option will result in the following message being shown:

An Error Occurred.

An error occurred while loading the troubleshooter.

We're sorry, MATS Wizard is running under an account different with the current Login User.

Error Code:  0x80004005

I searched the FixIt Answers and the Microsoft Knowledge Base for that error, and found nothing.  With this program being in Beta test, I can understand that the KB might not be up to speed on it yet.  So that is why I posted a query on this forum.

I feel that if the program is supposed to be run only in an Administrator Login environment, then something should indicate that on the Welcome screen.  That would be better than just letting it proceed into error condition, and not give a definitive indication as to what the user has done wrong.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 4:02 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Fix it Center application doesn't require administrator privilege to run. However, the 14 diagnostic packages that are currently available all require administrator privilege to perform the diagnosis on your system. Therefore when you login as a standard user (or anyone that doesn't have administrator privilege) would not be able to see the 14 diagnostic packages. Later on, as we have more diagnostic packages available, some may not require admin privilege, and the standard user would be able to see those diagnostic packages that don’t require admin privilege.

The error you saw because we don’t currently support the Run As scenario. You can’t logon as a standard user, then right click and choose “Run As” and use your admin credentials. But I think you raised a very good point that the user should be notified in a more user friendly way. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Thanks  

Hannah

HW
    • Proposed as answer by Hannah.W. _ Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by El_Abuelo Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:01 PM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Fix it Center application doesn't require administrator privilege to run. However, the 14 diagnostic packages that are currently available all require administrator privilege to perform the diagnosis on your system. Therefore when you login as a standard user (or anyone that doesn't have administrator privilege) would not be able to see the 14 diagnostic packages. Later on, as we have more diagnostic packages available, some may not require admin privilege, and the standard user would be able to see those diagnostic packages that don’t require admin privilege.

The error you saw because we don’t currently support the Run As scenario. You can’t logon as a standard user, then right click and choose “Run As” and use your admin credentials. But I think you raised a very good point that the user should be notified in a more user friendly way. Thank you very much for your suggestion.

Thanks  

Hannah

HW
    • Proposed as answer by Hannah.W. _ Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by El_Abuelo Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:01 PM
    Thursday, July 15, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Hi, Hannah,

Thanks for your response.

I appreciate your explanation.  I thought this might be the case, since this program in still under Beta test.  I did, however, want to point these problems out, just in case nobody had thought about these senarios.

I do like the FixIt program.  I think it has already corrected some problems on my system, that I would have been hard pressed to find on my own.  So I am looking forward to the final release.

El_Abuelo

Thursday, July 15, 2010 7:10 PM