WHS Security Issue using //server please advise RRS feed

• Question

• I have a PC at my house that I DO NOT want the WHS Connecter software on. Recently when I log in as myself on this PC and type//server I am promted for a user name and password because my Windows XP and WHS passwords do not match. Recently, it has just been allowing me to connect to the server without a password. What can I do? Thanks

By the way I checked all security settings already.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 5:43 PM

Answers

• That PC is running Windows XP Professional, I assume?

On that PC you have, at some point, typed your user name and password while accessing the shares on your server, and opted to save them for future use. If you need to purge the password you've saved for some reason, you can click the Start button, then click Run... In that window, type control userpasswords2 and press Enter. Then click on the Advanced tab, and the Manage Passwords button on that tab. You should see your server listed. Select it and click Remove.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 17, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Or the shorter method:
    Click Start/Run (or press Win+R) and type
    control keymgr.dll
    Click OKand remove the server from that list. (Should be the same dialog field with less clicking.)
    Best greetngs from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 17, 2009 6:41 PM

All replies

• That PC is running Windows XP Professional, I assume?

On that PC you have, at some point, typed your user name and password while accessing the shares on your server, and opted to save them for future use. If you need to purge the password you've saved for some reason, you can click the Start button, then click Run... In that window, type control userpasswords2 and press Enter. Then click on the Advanced tab, and the Manage Passwords button on that tab. You should see your server listed. Select it and click Remove.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, April 17, 2009 6:33 PM
  • Or the shorter method:
    Click Start/Run (or press Win+R) and type
    control keymgr.dll
    Click OKand remove the server from that list. (Should be the same dialog field with less clicking.)
    Best greetngs from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, April 17, 2009 6:41 PM