HP EX470 MediaSmart Server-Not All Drives Registering RRS feed

• Question

• I just purchased 3 additional 500 gig drives, exactly the same as what originally came with my EX470, giving me a total of four 500 gig drives. The hard drive bay-lights light up for the bottom 3 drive but not the top one. The Server Console does not detect the 4th (top) drive. I've tried swapping drives with the same result. I finally added (formatted) the 2 drives that were detected, but still have this drive in the top bay and no access to it...any ideas?

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 6:53 PM

All replies

• It might be a faulty bay - I would contact HP if I were you.

Andrew

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Contacted HP Tech Support. They had me ensure all the added drives ran on another system and run a restore on the server -- drives were fine and no dice on fixing the issue, so they're sending a new chassis. Meanwhile, I fiddled with swapping the drives around and removing them in the console -- low and behold I got all the hard drive bay-lights to light up (on the server unit) -- which I interpret as the server detecting the 3 additional drives. The problem now is the server storage tab (in the console) only shows 2 non storage hard drives (to be added), and not 3. The mediasmart server tab confirms that there are 3 drives to be added to the server's storage (it shows 3 purple bay-lights on the page) -- I may be reaching on that conclusion. What do you think the issue could be?

Tuesday, April 22, 2008 5:06 PM