WHS "threw an exception" error RRS feed

• Question

• I have an HP Data Vault running Windows Home Server.  I'm not very proficient in using WHS but have been using this to back up 4 PC's on my network.  Today, when I logged into the server admin console, I got an error screen that had a lot of info (but does not allow me to copy/paste so will type in as best I can):

The type initializer for 'Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Support' threw an execption

Server stack trace:

at 'Microsoft.WindowsServerSolutions.Common.Support.LogException (Exception e, String messageBoxText)

at Microsoft.HomeSever.Controls.QSM.QSMMgr.GetStorageSize()

at HpmssService.HpmssServiceRemote.TotalDiskSpace()

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink._PrivateProcessMessage(IntPtr md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(RuntimeMethodHandle md, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext)

There's more information provided under a heading of Exception rethrown at [0] that if it is inportant, I can type in later if needed. As best I can tell, the Data Vault seems to be working normally but I'm not certain of that.

Any idea what's going on with this error?

Thursday, July 29, 2010 1:26 AM

All replies

• The "Windows Home Server Settings - Toolkit 1.1 - Event viewer" lets you copy and paste if you can find the error there. Should not be too hard to find.

Exact same error here.

I also noticed a lot of these errors in the system log:

"The device, \Device\Harddisk3, is not ready for access yet."

I disconnected an external eSATA drive that I recently added, after that a reboot of my homeserver seemed to fix the problem.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:33 AM