Problems backing up a client with WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have just upgraded to WHS 2011 from WHS 2008.  I have connected 4 clients, but the backup of one of them always fails.  I have tried running chkdsk both without and with /R, but backup still fails.  The event log on the client gives an event ID of 512.  The client has a single hard disk with over 70 gb free from 230 gb.  The client backed up fine on WHS 2008 and I'm giving serious consideration to reverting to that OS.  My server is a Dell Poweredge T110 with four disks, 2TB, 250GB and 2 x 160GB, Intel Core i3 processor.  The client is a Dell Dimension E521 running XP SP3.  It has an Athlon 64 x2 processor and a 230GB disk.  I've reviewed a number of posts but these do not seem to address this problem.
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 9:11 AM

All replies

• When you look at the backup log in the dashboard what does it say the reason was that the backup failed?
    Tuesday, August 16, 2011 3:36 PM
  • An error prevented backup from running

An error prevented backup from creating a snapshot of the volumes on this computer.

See the event logs on this computer ...

I did that and the event code was 514

Any light shone on my darkness will be appreciated.

Steve Webb
    Wednesday, August 24, 2011 4:44 PM
  • Hello,

Could you log on to the client machine, open Services, and check if Volume Shadow Copy is started?

Thanks,

Yang

Tuesday, November 1, 2011 8:17 AM
  • Any update on this one?  I have one computer, my main one, that will not backup.  VSS is not started and set to manual.  2tb brand new Western Digital drive as the main drive.  CHKDSK /R made no difference.  I deleted all client backups to recreate the database.  Also removed all computers and added them back.  Same error given above. 

Christopher Cooke
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 9:24 PM