Unwanted and Un-Asked For Updates to a Perfectly Understood Set-Up RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased this computer 20 years ago while residing in NYC (now retired and living in Baja California), and my technician installed a VALID copy of Windows XP -- IN MY NAME! Today, some wizard invaded my ol' faithful computer system and declared it is no longer valid and that in order to validate i must update to a newer system, AND i must pay them $150 . i do NOT wish to to "upgrade" to whatever the "new system" has to offer as i have been quite satisfied with its workings of my ol' faithful companion in her XP, and we totally understand each other, dig? And now to my embarassament, this wizard has placed on my desktop a blurb stating "ask for a genuine..." whatever -- which is not only OBNOXIOUS, but EXTREMELY nervy since i do NOT wish to have anything later than my 'ol faithful XP (i.e., "7" something or some other problematic system), and i would like to have that noxious blurb REMOVED from the lower right-hand QUADRANT it is now splashed across -- obscuring my view of the handsome photo of the week!!! How can i get that accomplished? Please H*E*L*P, 'cause Big Bro is DEFINITELY here!!! Thanks for any and all assist offered!!!
    *One*Love*
    Friday, April 22, 2011 3:15 AM

Answers

• "RastaGypsy" wrote in message news:afdb62cd-2c95-4577-82c3-7e8fb3250579...

Noel,

You give me hope!!  

however, when you say "re-activate the current Key", would that be this?  

*****-*****-M8DPY-XDJ73-JQTMJ 

and if so, how/where do i locate the missing pieces of the code so that i can "click on the Start button", etc., "to re-activate the current Key"?

checking the sticker, it says "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition" (the sticker itself is green and pink -- or maybe faded red curvy stripes -- and a silvery band along its left side, with the bar code data centered in a white rectangle).  knowing how often i travel about, my NYC tech placed the sticker atop my CPR, but over the years it has deteriorated somewhat.

unfortunately, i cannot remember when/where the XP was installed, probably here in San Felipe as i'd to have it serviced after it was shipped here in '07, and the guys who overhauled it probably did me the favor.

again, i must say thank you, Noel, for your excellent assist in my dilemma, for i'm totally at my wit's end in fear of being unable to work quietly at home.

*One*Love*

You cannot use a Win98 Key to activate WinXP.

If you actually want the rest of the XP Pro Key (and that would be a good idea, if you haven't got the disk or Key available) then download and install Belarc Advisor - it will list the Keys for Windows (and Office if installed), as well as a number of other products, as well as reporting lots of other fun stuff <g> www.belarc.com

The MGADiag tool has simply hidden the first two blocks of characters. They are still (hopefully) present in the registry, so you shouldn't have to re-enter anything at all to be able to reactivate.

If Internet Activation fails, use Telephone Activation.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:13 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 5:18 PM

All replies

• "RastaGypsy" wrote in message news:2dcddd40-4aae-466e-9764-25d59086bf6e...
    I purchased this computer 20 years ago while residing in NYC (now retired and living in Baja California), and my technician installed a VALID copy of Windows XP -- IN MY NAME! Today, some wizard invaded my ol' faithful computer system and declared it is no longer valid and that in order to validate i must update to a newer system, AND i must pay them $150 . i do NOT wish to to "upgrade" to whatever the "new system" has to offer as i have been quite satisfied with its workings of my ol' faithful companion in her XP, and we totally understand each other, dig? And now to my embarassament, this wizard has placed on my desktop a blurb stating "ask for a genuine..." whatever -- which is not only OBNOXIOUS, but EXTREMELY nervy since i do NOT wish to have anything later than my 'ol faithful XP (i.e., "7" something or some other problematic system), and i would like to have that noxious blurb REMOVED from the lower right-hand QUADRANT it is now splashed across -- obscuring my view of the handsome photo of the week!!! How can i get that accomplished? Please H*E*L*P, 'cause Big Bro is DEFINITELY here!!! Thanks for any and all assist offered!!!
    *One*Love*

To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Friday, April 22, 2011 4:51 AM
  • Thanks, Noel, for your suggestion which i've followed (see below).  However, when i fired up ol' faithful this a.m., there was additional info regarding why Microsoft has "interfered" with my set-up, something concerning the hardware i've added since initial installation.  btw, in moving from NYC to Alaska to Mexico, the "Certificate of Authencity" label has gotten a bit scraped about, but as far as i can make out it is:

Q784D-DFW2B-RVTVQ-_____-CFDTY

and was registered to me:  Cassandra Johnson Neill

being that i'm on a VERY fixed income and just barely getting back here in this "bargain" state, $149 is just NOT in my budget, and i'm feeling a bit put-upon being asked to buy something i do not feel i need, so please help me come up with another solution as i am feeling quite threatened by the thought that i will be unable to use my system.

thanks for your good assist!

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Status: Not Activated

Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-M8DPY-XDJ73-JQTMJ

Windows Product Key Hash: TNxTY3RM6GeZvUzJKVsrsOC8Wy4=

Windows Product ID: 76487-084-9213157-22722

Windows Product ID Type: 5

Windows License Type: Retail

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

ID: {6C43A1A2-B193-4898-9E0F-4C9DA4CC545B}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista WgaER Data-->

ThreatID(s): N/A

Version: N/A

Windows XP Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 1

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.9.40.0

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002

Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{6C43A1A2-B193-4898-9E0F-4C9DA4CC545B}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0027.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-JQTMJ</PKey><PID>76487-084-9213157-22722</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-484763869-1343024091-839522115</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>Deskpro          </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686T3</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19990818000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>62E431C701840057</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>  

Licensing Data-->

N/A

Windows Activation Technologies-->

N/A

HWID Data-->

N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->

BIOS string matches: yes

Marker string from BIOS: 0019:Compaq Computer Corporation|115F9:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Compaq Computer Corporation|1FFEA:Hewlett-Packard Company

Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->

N/A

*One*Love*
    Friday, April 22, 2011 9:18 AM
  • "RastaGypsy" wrote in message news:8ea2a259-09ca-489e-bc7e-3062aa52d015...

Thanks, Noel, for your suggestion which i've followed (see below).  However, when i fired up ol' faithful this a.m., there was additional info regarding why Microsoft has "interfered" with my set-up, something concerning the hardware i've added since initial installation.  btw, in moving from NYC to Alaska to Mexico, the "Certificate of Authencity" label has gotten a bit scraped about, but as far as i can make out it is:

[redacted]

and was registered to me:  Cassandra Johnson Neill

being that i'm on a VERY fixed income and just barely getting back here in this "bargain" state, $149 is just NOT in my budget, and i'm feeling a bit put-upon being asked to buy something i do not feel i need, so please help me come up with another solution as i am feeling quite threatened by the thought that i will be unable to use my system.

thanks for your good assist!

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0027.0):

-----------------------------------------

Windows Validation Data-->

Validation Status: Not Activated

Validation Code: 1

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-M8DPY-XDJ73-JQTMJ

Windows Product Key Hash: TNxTY3RM6GeZvUzJKVsrsOC8Wy4=

Windows Product ID: 76487-084-9213157-22722

Windows Product ID Type: 5

Windows License Type: Retail

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro

ID: {6C43A1A2-B193-4898-9E0F-4C9DA4CC545B}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

LegitcheckControl ActiveX: Registered, 1.9.42.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-258-3

Resolution Status: N/A

Other data-->

SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Model>Deskpro          </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Compaq</Manufacturer><Version>686T3</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19990818000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS

*One*Love*

Your system appears simply to have lost its activation - but the key in the report is nothing like the key you mention, and is for Retail Windows XP Pro. I see your machine is a Compaq, which probably came preinstalled with Windows 98 or Windows NT (or just possibly Windows 2000).

Whet version and edition of Windows is on the COA sticker? - and where is the sticker itself?

If you bought and installed XP Pro retail yourself, the Key should not be on a COA sticker on the machine - but on an Orange/yellow sticker inside the disk case that came with XP.

You may simply need to re-activate the current Key -
    click on the Start button, then All Programs > Accessories>System Tools>Activate Windows.

--

Friday, April 22, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Noel,

You give me hope!!  

and if so, how/where do i locate the missing pieces of the code so that i can "click on the Start button", etc., "to re-activate the current Key"?

checking the sticker, it says "Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition" (the sticker itself is green and pink -- or maybe faded red curvy stripes -- and a silvery band along its left side, with the bar code data centered in a white rectangle).  knowing how often i travel about, my NYC tech placed the sticker atop my CPR, but over the years it has deteriorated somewhat.

unfortunately, i cannot remember when/where the XP was installed, probably here in San Felipe as i'd to have it serviced after it was shipped here in '07, and the guys who overhauled it probably did me the favor.

again, i must say thank you, Noel, for your excellent assist in my dilemma, for i'm totally at my wit's end in fear of being unable to work quietly at home.

*One*Love*
    Friday, April 22, 2011 4:38 PM
  • "RastaGypsy" wrote in message news:afdb62cd-2c95-4577-82c3-7e8fb3250579...

Noel,

You give me hope!!  

*One*Love*

You cannot use a Win98 Key to activate WinXP.

If you actually want the rest of the XP Pro Key (and that would be a good idea, if you haven't got the disk or Key available) then download and install Belarc Advisor - it will list the Keys for Windows (and Office if installed), as well as a number of other products, as well as reporting lots of other fun stuff <g> www.belarc.com

The MGADiag tool has simply hidden the first two blocks of characters. They are still (hopefully) present in the registry, so you shouldn't have to re-enter anything at all to be able to reactivate.

If Internet Activation fails, use Telephone Activation.

--

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Saturday, April 23, 2011 12:13 AM
    Friday, April 22, 2011 5:18 PM
  • Un mil gracias por tu servicio mas excellente, Jeje, but i'll just have to try Telephone Activation to see where that gets me 'cause Microsoft just AIN'T gonna let me pass thru tha gate that easily!! they probably wanna make those duckets -- one way or another!!  but i ain't 'bout to give up when so close (stubborn's my middle name)!!

Again, a thousand thanks for your most excellent service, Chief!!

~*.) 

btw, do these warnings truly mean that i'll be unable to do any work or listen to music/videos or whut-evah in three days?!?

>:-(

*One*Love*
    Friday, April 22, 2011 6:16 PM
  • "RastaGypsy" wrote in message news:797490e3-a772-4397-a16a-12ae59dfacfe...

Un mil gracias por tu servicio mas excellente, Jeje, but i'll just have to try Telephone Activation to see where that gets me 'cause Microsoft just AIN'T gonna let me pass thru tha gate that easily!! they probably wanna make those duckets -- one way or another!!  but i ain't 'bout to give up when so close (stubborn's my middle name)!!

Again, a thousand thanks for your most excellent service, Chief!!

~*.) 

btw, do these warnings truly mean that i'll be unable to do any work or listen to music/videos or whut-evah in three days?!?

>:-(

*One*Love*

It'll get more difficult, certainly.
    Unlike Win 7, XP does lock you out of a lot of functionality when the system goes 'out of tolerance' beyond the activation period.
    You'll still (IIRC - haven't had to personally deal with such a system for a long time) have access to application - but only while in Safe Mode. Normal Mode is pretty much locked out, so media-players can't function.

--

Friday, April 22, 2011 6:29 PM
  • arrrrgghhhh!

all this stuff's WAAAAY over my head -- i'm just a glorified typist who can barely add 2 to 2 and make 4!!!  well, on miercoles (wednesday), i'll just have to make the call and see whutz-whut!!  

in the meantime, gonna get as much accomplished as i possibly can, but my initial reaction was that if i have to shell out dough for a system that has given me nothing but grief for decades (stopped using IE and Hotmail cause freezing/crashing and NOBODY could figure out what the problem was!!!), i guess i'll go ahead and by that cheap Acer laptop 'til i win the lottery -- lol

again, Jefe, mucho gracias!! tardes, amigo!!

enjoy the weekend and hope the weather's gorgeous -- whereever you find yourself!

~*.)

*One*Love*
    Friday, April 22, 2011 6:49 PM
  • "RastaGypsy" wrote in message news:ffc6b5e4-6d7f-45f2-8287-88bec8d787a6...

arrrrgghhhh!

all this stuff's WAAAAY over my head -- i'm just a glorified typist who can barely add 2 to 2 and make 4!!!  well, on miercoles (wednesday), i'll just have to make the call and see whutz-whut!!  

in the meantime, gonna get as much accomplished as i possibly can, but my initial reaction was that if i have to shell out dough for a system that has given me nothing but grief for decades (stopped using IE and Hotmail cause freezing/crashing and NOBODY could figure out what the problem was!!!), i guess i'll go ahead and by that cheap Acer laptop 'til i win the lottery -- lol

again, Jefe, mucho gracias!! tardes, amigo!!

enjoy the weekend and hope the weather's gorgeous -- whereever you find yourself!

~*.)

*One*Love*

Why wait? -  Activation lines should be open 24/7  :)

--

Friday, April 22, 2011 7:44 PM
  • well, should i have to wade thru more computer-reps, on wednesday can but more time on my cell -- at least 45", and (did i mention i exist on retirement checks & dinero doesn't hit my bank 'til wednesday?

but i'm feeling like Fortuna she is on my side this week (i mean i received some great leads, etc., from one Noel Paton, di'nt i, when i coulda been under the thumb of some whip-crackin' computer-snob?)

~*.)

*One*Love*
    Friday, April 22, 2011 8:11 PM
  • "RastaGypsy" wrote in message news:eeb28c70-4675-43ac-ab42-78b28285f0c1...

well, should i have to wade thru more computer-reps, on wednesday can but more time on my cell -- at least 45", and (did i mention i exist on retirement checks & dinero doesn't hit my bank 'til wednesday?

but i'm feeling like Fortuna she is on my side this week (i mean i received some great leads, etc., from one Noel Paton, di'nt i, when i coulda been under the thumb of some whip-crackin' computer-snob?)

~*.)

*One*Love*

<chuckle>
    I've done a few phone activations over mobile phones myself - depending on your carrier it may even be free (the lines are usually toll-free for landlines, but mobiles will vary)

--

Friday, April 22, 2011 8:14 PM
  • hohoho!! (or should i say "jojojo!!)?  down here in mexico, EVERYBODY and their momma're gonna make some money, the 800 calls are more expensive than regular area codes, believe that or not, be it landline or cell.  the only advantage to mexican cells is that incoming calls are free!!

my landline bill once was nearly US$100 for just under a dozen 800 calls (insurance, immigration, etc.), so i opted for Skype (which isn't working on my set 'cause no one can hear me just now -- another expense on my list)

*One*Love*
    Friday, April 22, 2011 8:22 PM