Godaddy manual configure RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to register/configure a godaddy domain manually. When i try to setup remote web access it makes me log into godaddy credentials, and purchase a ssl certificate from godaddy. When i put in a another domain not from godaddy i get a option to configure manually. I want to use a ssl certificate from another vendor. I already put the ssl into iis.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 4:04 PM

All replies

• There is no supported way to use a third party certificate; Windows Home Server 2011 is designed to install the certificate correctly as part of the domain name creation/registration/transfer process.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken Warren Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:09 AM
    Saturday, June 18, 2011 1:09 AM
  • Windows Home Server 2011 is designed to install the certificate correctly as part of the domain name creation/registration/transfer process.

Automation is great, however, there has to be support to complete the process manually for when you have utalized the dedicated SSL vendors (GoDaddy etc) does not work as "planned" 

My Home Server is a great example.  I have a few domains already registered to GoDaddy so it was an easy sell to add the SSL to our Home Server through GoDaddy through the domain infigeration wizzard  in the Remote Web Access section of Dashboard.  However, 6 weeks later, the Dashboard still says "Wait while your domain certificate request is being processed".  GoDaddy tech support waked me through manually installing the SSL under my IIS, but have yet to how to allow my RDC to my Windows 7 Ultimate desktops through the website as it returns errors that the RDC Gateway requires an SSL to be configured.

Anyone know of any good walkthroughs available? 

Sunday, September 4, 2011 7:43 PM
  • I don't know of any way to manually do this.  However, I was trying to get the wizard to work and couldn't.  After much trouble I finally got this to work.  I had to do all of these at the same time to get it to work.

- Enter a new domain name in the WHS dashboard (not a domain name that I already owned).  for example contoso.com
    - purchase the domain name and ssl certificate at the same time from godaddy.com using the url that the WHS wizard sent me to
    - when prompted for the sub-domain, user id, and password by the wizard I kept the default sub-domain of remote.contoso.com
    - wait a little bit for WHS/Godaddy to process without doing anything else at Godaddy or in Home Server (my experience was about 10 minutes).
    - after I got it working I called GoDaddy and they were kind enough to refund the other SSL Certs and Domain names I had purchased trying to get this to work.  One of the orders was too old to refund but it was only $4 so I wasn't too concerned about that.

I am pretty sure using the sub-domain of remote was the key.  I found that in the MS documentation as "recommended" which after many years of experience in the technology industry I have taken to mean "This is the way we tested it and the only way  we know for sure that it works."

• Edited by Paul Ergh Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:22 PM
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 6:21 PM
  • I can tell you from experience it's not necessary to purchase the domain name and ssl certificate at the same time.

However, the wizard won't work if you've installed the certificate yourself!  If you have, follow the helpful instructions posted by Timotl to make a single registry change that allows the wizard to complete, and then use IIS to edit the bindings and use the GoDaddy certificate again.

WHS 2011 RTM Domain Setup Error with existing godaddy SSL

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 5:18 AM