WHS 2011 and Windows 8 RRS feed

All replies

• UR3 was purported to fix a number of W8 problems, so I so no reason why not although W8 was not RTM at that stage:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2705118?wa=wsignin1.0

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Friday, October 26, 2012 7:23 PM
  • I've been running the Windows 8 Release Preview (64 bit) for the past few months with WHS 2011, and without any problems.

Yesterday I upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64 bit, and I see that WHS 2011 made a successful client PC backup of it last night without missing a beat.

So as far as I can see, everything is working OK

Saturday, October 27, 2012 2:40 PM
  • It works fine... Make sure you the latest server and client updates installed. See the separate thread here about authenticating with linked Microsoft ID accounts.

• Edited by Gary Voth Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:19 PM
    Thursday, November 1, 2012 9:16 PM
  • Hi Geoff,

How did you deal with the local account vs Microsoft Account issues with clients connected to WHS 2011?

I'm about to upgrade a Windows 7 x64 client on my WHS 2011 network to Windows 8 Pro x64. I plan to do a clean install to clean out crud.

For discussion, let's assume my current Win7 local account is user=tsmith, pw=smith.

When I install, am I better off initially creating a user account with the same userid (tsmith) and pw (smith) as what was on my Win7 machine (thinking that any existing permissions on WHS that still expect tsmith/smith will continue to work)? Then, I plan to switch to my Microsoft Account after the install to get the other benefits.

One advantage of doing things this way is that my C:\users directory will then be named C:\users\tsmith, then when I copy my old files over, any existing shortcuts to files in C:\users\tsmith won't break.

Comments? Further advice?

Thanks!

Saturday, November 3, 2012 5:01 PM
  • JonNJ,

When I upgraded my PC, I did a clean install, and went for a Microsoft account as the basis, rather than a local account. The key was that I called the upgraded PC the same name that was known to the WHS 2011 system.

Once I had upgraded, and downloaded the WHS 2011 connector, I went through the screens where WHS 2011 said that I had used the system name earlier, and confirmed that I wanted to keep the same name.

Because I switched to using a Microsoft Account (aka Microsoft Live ID) as the primary identifier, I also explicitly created a Windows Credential, at Enterprise level, to ensure that I could log onto my WHS 2011 using the old userid password combination. This may not be absolutely necessary, but it worked for me.

Once I was connected to WHS 2011, I used the Dashboard to customize the client backup. I found that the old environment had drives that were now marked as offline, so I removed them and made sure that the new drives (i.e. the same drives, but now in the new Windows 8 environment) were checked for backup.

Hope this helps

Saturday, November 3, 2012 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for the quick reply. Other reading had clued me in on how a credential might be helpful here. Since I'm new at that:

1) The credential is created on my Win8 machine? (NOT the WHS machine)

2) The network address would be the name of my WHS server?

3) User name and password would be tsmith/smith (continuing my example)?

When I installed Win8-RTM in a virtual machine as a test, joining that VM to my homegroup seemed to make everything work OK, but the credential might be helpful if I run into any permissions problems with things (like subscribed calendars) on my WHS.

Thanks also for the reminder to check out the client backup drives. I would not have thought of that right away!

Jon

Saturday, November 3, 2012 7:02 PM
  • 1) Yes - create it on your client machine

2) Yes, the name of your server

3) User name and password is what you have set up on your WHS machine as the account for that particular user.

Saturday, November 3, 2012 8:52 PM
  • How did you do this, removed drives that are now marked as offline? I have done many builds using the same computer name as you are stating. Yes, I always go in and uncheck offline and check the ones that are new. What I have never figured or really worked on was a way to get those now offline drives removed.

Don
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 12:42 AM