Live Mesh Folders on Desktop of other peers - can't move folders RRS feed

• Question

• There was another thread about this here: 

http://forums.community.microsoft.com/en-US/LiveMesh/thread/99744291-3ab4-4c3b-bd66-225ebc7acfa7/

but the responses don't seem to help. 

My issue:

I have master folders on my desktop I would like synced to my live desktop and my laptop.  When the laptop first recognizes new folders on the mesh it places shortcuts on the desktop.  When I double click them and have synced when new or modified files are added, the real folders are added to the desktop.  Unfortunately I can not move them anywhere since the live mesh folders are just placed back on the laptop's desktop and the folders placed in a different directory still have the blue folder icon but do not sync anymore.

What can I do to move the folders to a different directory on my laptop and still sync.

Thanks for the help,
    Brian
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 1:53 AM

Answers

• Just to check, have you stopped syncing to the folder on the desktop, then tried to sync to a different folder? I found the process for this to be somewhat tedious, but it does work. If you look at the thread the original poster linked to, you can see that I had these same problems, just follow the instructions in that thread and you can then change the location of the folder. It does work, I can assure you :)
    SL - Windows Live Platform MVP
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 4:09 PM

All replies

• I have run into this same problem....

I like to keep all my files I backup etc all in My Documents - So I made new folders in My Documents - Then right clicked and added them to my Mesh...

That way they are synced from that location. And also show up on the cloud....

I think when you create a folder on the Live Desktop (Cloud) it likes to place the folders on the desktop - I personally hate a messy desktop so I feel the pain - but doing it this way seems to have solved the issue.... I even went as far as creating a shortcut on my local machines desktop to be able to drop files into the Live Mesh synced folder in My Documents. This works fine but i think Mesh is a bit confussed by the shortcut as sometimes when online it likes to turn the shortcut blue with the Live Mesh Special folder Icon and some times it wait till after you open it the first time using the shortcut... its not a usability issue just something that someone might want to look at... I assume there is a ton going on behind the scenes that we all do not know about... and why this is a tech preview of a final product..

But I use it daily and have basically given up on USB drives..

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 2:56 AM
  • Same Problem here.

When i create a folder in the live desktop, a folder is created on all the desktop of the pc in the mesh. What i do is go to the notifier and click on manage folder. Then i put a different path for that folder. Everything goes ok but after sometimes or 99% of the time i restart the pc or the laptop the folder come back to the desktop path. I'm using vista ultimate 64 bit.

Anyway keep going guys, you are doing a great job:)

Have a nice day :)

Lello
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:06 PM
  • Hi,

Being able to change the default location of Live Mesh folders on your devices (e.g., other than on the Desktop) is a popular feature request.  I've added all of your votes here for that feature to our internal list of customer suggestions.

Thanks,

Ben.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:26 PM
  • Ok thanks.  At least I'm not the only one.  Keep it though, I really like Live Mesh thing going on here.
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 1:03 AM
  • Didnt know that the Live Mesh folder cannot be moved on other places other than my Desktop. At the moment i'm syncronizing the interface folder and the setting folder of my World of Warcraft over 3 pc and the Live desktop and the Live Mesh folders are inside the WoW directory and it work just great.

Maybe i shoundn't do that?

Thanks in advance

Lello
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:17 PM
  • Just to check, have you stopped syncing to the folder on the desktop, then tried to sync to a different folder? I found the process for this to be somewhat tedious, but it does work. If you look at the thread the original poster linked to, you can see that I had these same problems, just follow the instructions in that thread and you can then change the location of the folder. It does work, I can assure you :)
    SL - Windows Live Platform MVP
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 4:09 PM
  • Yeah,  Here is what i did:
    1) i went to the live desktop and create 2 folder WTF and Interface telling to syncro over all pc in the cloud and the live desktop as well
    2) i went to each of the pc on the cloud and wait for the folder show up on the desktop
    3) right click on the folder on the pc desktop and i choose Change sync setting. On the folder name i wrote the WOW path of the WTF and Interface folders
    4) mesh prompted me to merge the folders
    5) Enjoyed playing WoW on different PC whitout copying every time all the stuff with the USB pen

This was a piece of cake:)

Sorry for my bad english.

Thanks again for the amazing work.

Lello
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 8:42 PM
  • I just moved to Windows 7 from XP and am still trying to figure out how to best utilize Libraries and the "Favorites" in the the Explorer. I have the same problem - I want to keep my Desktop clear but Mesh creates its blue folders there by default. 

So now with Windows 7 it's a little more confusing because you have the Library and Favorites concept superimposed over the physical directory structure. Some type of guidelines regarding how to manage all these new tools would be helpful. Right now, it feels like trial and error.

But the new features are great! And I love Mesh (but it is a lot like DropBox!)

Tom
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 4:00 PM
  • I just moved to Windows 7 from XP and am still trying to figure out how to best utilize Libraries and the "Favorites" in the the Explorer. I have the same problem - I want to keep my Desktop clear but Mesh creates its blue folders there by default. 

So now with Windows 7 it's a little more confusing because you have the Library and Favorites concept superimposed over the physical directory structure. Some type of guidelines regarding how to manage all these new tools would be helpful. Right now, it feels like trial and error.

But the new features are great! And I love Mesh (but it is a lot like DropBox!)

Tom

Hi, Tom.
    When Live Mesh offers the folders, they will always go to the local PC desktop. If you click the folder and accept it by clicking OK, it saves the sync end point in that location. You can decide where to place it by following the steps below, but *only* if you have not already accepted the default location of the desktop. If you already have a solid blue folder and do not have the option to browse to a new location, you need to first change the sync settings for the folder on the Live Desktop to not sync with the PC, remove or move the yellow Windows Explorer folder which the sync folder will revert to and then change the sync settings on the Live Desktop again to sync with that PC in order for it to be offered again.
    The favorites folder/libraries are nothing more than shortcuts in Windows 7.
    And libraries are virtual folders that include physical folders, though actions taken in a Library are reflected in the underlying folders.

Double clicking when it is faded light blue folder, brings you to a windows titled:

Synchronize folder

The text at the top of the window says "Synchronize folder with this computer."

The name cannot be changed/

The location is the path to your desktop folder.

Next to this is browse.

At the bottom of the Window is OK and Cancel.

OK accepts the default offered location - your desktop.

If you click OK, it will become a darker blue folder (still light blue) and it is now fixed to your desktop.

If you click Browse, you can navigate to a folder of your choosing.

Once you have reached that folder, click OK and accept the warning about merging with an existing folder and potential for conflicts.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Proposed as answer by catspyjamas Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:28 PM
    Monday, February 8, 2010 1:16 PM
  • Dear Stephen Boots - 

Thank you for this explanation: I have been trying to figure this out for so long! Now I can finally have the clean desktop I've always longed for :)

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 9:32 PM