grab an rtsp stream and stream back too networked media player? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently got a new brand of outdoor IP camera. It has several rtsp formats that I can live view with VLC. such as rtsp://192.168.0.3:554/live/ch00_0  1260 x720 .

I would like to know if there is a way I can get the whs box to grab this stream and make it available to my WDTV Live media player. I figured I would use 

rtsp://192.168.0.3:554/live/ch01_0  640x480 witch should make a nice picture on my TV.
    Sunday, October 23, 2011 12:40 PM

Answers

• I recently got a new brand of outdoor IP camera. It has several rtsp formats that I can live view with VLC. such as rtsp://192.168.0.3:554/live/ch00_0  1260 x720 .

I would like to know if there is a way I can get the whs box to grab this stream and make it available to my WDTV Live media player. I figured I would use 

rtsp://192.168.0.3:554/live/ch01_0  640x480 witch should make a nice picture on my TV.

A pretty nice idea, i got that WD TVLive streaming client (that one with wifi, but no custom firmware possible yet ;-( ) too.

I love it and it's super compatible with my media server which is the open source project: serviio

Which serves me pretty well on my Samsung UE0C6700 as well as on the WD TVLive and that without getting in trouble (1080p) with the relatively poor powerloadable Atom (i use to say: it's not undersized for home server use it's just that commonly-way "Atom-slow") even if backup service is backup clients meanwhile.

So this is what the features page offers:

Basic features

streams audio, video (SD & HD) and image files in their native format or transcoded in real-time
        streams content from online sources, like RSS feeds, live audio/video streams, web page content
        includes a plugin system to support streaming from non-trivial online sources
        automatically udpates the media library when you add/update/remove a media file or a metadata file
        wide array of localized library browsing options
        supports different editable renderer profiles
        supports automatic renderer detection and per-IP profile assignment
        extracts metadata of your media files the way you want it, incl. embedded metadata tags, local metadata files, online metadata sources (in preferred language), XBMC, Swisscenter, MyMovies
        supports video thumbnails, CD covers, DVD posters, etc.
        supports external subtitles
        categorizes video files into movie and/or series and marks last viewed episodes of a series
        available for Windows, Linux and Mac (with the possibility to run the server part one one platform and console on another)

Supported renderers

Samsung TVs and Bluray players (supports additional features, e.g. subtitles)
        Sony TVs and Bluray players
        Panasonic TVs
        Playstation 3
        Xbox 360
        LG TVs and Bluray players
        Toshiba TVs
        Sharp TVs
        Philips TVs
        WDTV Live (supports subtitles)
        Oppo BDP-83
        MusicPal
        DirecTV DVR
        Pure Flow deices
        Android phones, iOS phones
        ... and many more

Supported media files

Audio: MP3( .mp3), Windows Media Audio (.wma), AAC (.m4a), OGG (.ogg, .oga), FLAC (.flac)
        Video: MPEG-1 (.mpg, .mpeg), MPEG-2 PS (.mpg, .mpeg, vob, mod), MPEG-2 TS (.ts, .m2ts), MPEG-4 (.mp4, m4v, mov), AVI (.avi, .divx), Windows Media Video (.wmv, .asf), Matroska (.mkv), Flash (.flv, .f4v), DVR-MS (.dvr, .dvr-ms), WTV (.wtv), OGG (.ogv, .ogm), 3GP (.3gp)
        Image: JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), GIF (.gif), PNG (.png)

All that is working great for me for most formats tested, only with .flv i experienced a few buggy moments (now i transcode that horrible widely incompatible video codec into divx (in .MKV i trust)

If you using a Windows Home Server there is finally a Add-In for Serviio for the WHServer Console (so no need 4 RDP'ing if the console is mainly preferred admin interface. And also you find the Add-In for WHS2011 Vail in the download section NOT THE .MSI FOR WHS2011

And if you have a look on the online sources page you found your favorised protcol handler:

Live streams

Serviio supports live audio and video streams. These can be internet radio stations, SHOUTCast streams, live TV station broadcasts and
    similar. Supported protocols include http, mmsh, mmst, rtp, rtsp, apple http. A typical stream URL might look like:
    http://someserver/stream mms://123.123.123.123/ rtsp://somedomain.com/content Note: You can make sure the stream URL is correct by trying to play it in a desktop player, like VLC. You can also stream your PC desktop via this functionality, with the help of VLC or similar software that can produce your desktop
    stream. More information is on the wiki.

I guess this is the right solution for all your needs around streaming & transcoding and of course grabing online streams (of course locally IP's are accepted to) and it is no resource-eating monster service like many other (altough it's based on Java !)

My Acer easystore H340 is that way serving us that way since spring 2010 with no compareable alternative (not even 4 money)

I hope this brings your home network usability on a higher level and hope i could give you a practiceable hint get your IP-Cam workin that way. As i am also owner of a WD TVLive it would be nice if you could give me some feedback about if it works and how well it works. What kind of server hardware you are using ? What brand and model is your used ip-cam ? Thank you in advance

• Marked as answer by Alan87i Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:32 PM
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 3:38 AM

All replies

A pretty nice idea, i got that WD TVLive streaming client (that one with wifi, but no custom firmware possible yet ;-( ) too.

I love it and it's super compatible with my media server which is the open source project: serviio

Which serves me pretty well on my Samsung UE0C6700 as well as on the WD TVLive and that without getting in trouble (1080p) with the relatively poor powerloadable Atom (i use to say: it's not undersized for home server use it's just that commonly-way "Atom-slow") even if backup service is backup clients meanwhile.

So this is what the features page offers:

Basic features

streams audio, video (SD & HD) and image files in their native format or transcoded in real-time
        streams content from online sources, like RSS feeds, live audio/video streams, web page content
        includes a plugin system to support streaming from non-trivial online sources
        automatically udpates the media library when you add/update/remove a media file or a metadata file
        wide array of localized library browsing options
        supports different editable renderer profiles
        supports automatic renderer detection and per-IP profile assignment
        extracts metadata of your media files the way you want it, incl. embedded metadata tags, local metadata files, online metadata sources (in preferred language), XBMC, Swisscenter, MyMovies
        supports video thumbnails, CD covers, DVD posters, etc.
        supports external subtitles
        categorizes video files into movie and/or series and marks last viewed episodes of a series
        available for Windows, Linux and Mac (with the possibility to run the server part one one platform and console on another)

Supported renderers

Samsung TVs and Bluray players (supports additional features, e.g. subtitles)
        Sony TVs and Bluray players
        Panasonic TVs
        Playstation 3
        Xbox 360
        LG TVs and Bluray players
        Toshiba TVs
        Sharp TVs
        Philips TVs
        WDTV Live (supports subtitles)
        Oppo BDP-83
        MusicPal
        DirecTV DVR
        Pure Flow deices
        Android phones, iOS phones
        ... and many more

Supported media files

Audio: MP3( .mp3), Windows Media Audio (.wma), AAC (.m4a), OGG (.ogg, .oga), FLAC (.flac)
        Video: MPEG-1 (.mpg, .mpeg), MPEG-2 PS (.mpg, .mpeg, vob, mod), MPEG-2 TS (.ts, .m2ts), MPEG-4 (.mp4, m4v, mov), AVI (.avi, .divx), Windows Media Video (.wmv, .asf), Matroska (.mkv), Flash (.flv, .f4v), DVR-MS (.dvr, .dvr-ms), WTV (.wtv), OGG (.ogv, .ogm), 3GP (.3gp)
        Image: JPEG (.jpg, .jpeg), GIF (.gif), PNG (.png)

All that is working great for me for most formats tested, only with .flv i experienced a few buggy moments (now i transcode that horrible widely incompatible video codec into divx (in .MKV i trust)

If you using a Windows Home Server there is finally a Add-In for Serviio for the WHServer Console (so no need 4 RDP'ing if the console is mainly preferred admin interface. And also you find the Add-In for WHS2011 Vail in the download section NOT THE .MSI FOR WHS2011

And if you have a look on the online sources page you found your favorised protcol handler:

Live streams

Serviio supports live audio and video streams. These can be internet radio stations, SHOUTCast streams, live TV station broadcasts and
    similar. Supported protocols include http, mmsh, mmst, rtp, rtsp, apple http. A typical stream URL might look like:
    http://someserver/stream mms://123.123.123.123/ rtsp://somedomain.com/content Note: You can make sure the stream URL is correct by trying to play it in a desktop player, like VLC. You can also stream your PC desktop via this functionality, with the help of VLC or similar software that can produce your desktop
    stream. More information is on the wiki.

I guess this is the right solution for all your needs around streaming & transcoding and of course grabing online streams (of course locally IP's are accepted to) and it is no resource-eating monster service like many other (altough it's based on Java !)

My Acer easystore H340 is that way serving us that way since spring 2010 with no compareable alternative (not even 4 money)

I hope this brings your home network usability on a higher level and hope i could give you a practiceable hint get your IP-Cam workin that way. As i am also owner of a WD TVLive it would be nice if you could give me some feedback about if it works and how well it works. What kind of server hardware you are using ? What brand and model is your used ip-cam ? Thank you in advance

• Marked as answer by Alan87i Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:32 PM
    Sunday, February 5, 2012 3:38 AM
  • Thanks

I have tried several media servers and this is the only one that worked. SWEET!

The cameras are new from Ubiquiti, Called the Aircam.  The 720P stream looks good on my Samsung TV

Allan

Sunday, February 5, 2012 2:33 PM