Security requirements between CRM and SharePoint for SharePoint Document Management Integration RRS feed

• Question

• I am currently setting up a Dynamics CRM 2011 installation and SharePoint 2010.  Both are using ADFS/Claims based authentication.

I am planning on enabling Document Management within CRM to integrate with SharePoint Document Libraries for CRM Document Management.

However, I am very confused as to how to set up and maintain security between the 2 applications.

1. In CRM, I can control security for Document Location and SharePoint Site by reviewing the permissions in a Security Role
    2. In SharePoint, I can grant access to perform various operations within SharePoint by using a custom permissions role or using one of the various built-in SharePoint permission roles such as Contributor, Member or Visitor.

Therefore, my question revolves around the following:

1. If I grant full privileges within CRM, but read only privileges to my user in SharePoint, will the CRM end user still be able to upload/attach documents to SharePoint?
    2. If I grant read only privileges in CRM and read only privileges to my user in SharePoint, can I still read/view documents in SharePoint for an existing CRM record?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 4, 2013 8:24 PM

All replies

• As CRM & SharePoint uses different security models internally so we need to configure security for each user in CRM & SharePoint. Answer to your questions - 

1. If I grant full privileges within CRM, but read only privileges to my user in SharePoint, will the CRM end user still be able to upload/attach documents to SharePoint?

- User will not be able to upload documents in Sharepoint. 

2. If I grant read only privileges in CRM and read only privileges to my user in SharePoint, can I still read/view documents in SharePoint for an existing CRM record?

- Yes. The user should be able to view the documents if they have read access to records in CRM and read access for documents in SharePoint.

In order to check the permission, I normally do one a simple test by copying Sharepoint URL from document location records and test it in a browser. 

http://mscrmkb.blogspot.com

Mark as answer if a post has answered the question

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 4:42 AM