Restoring desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I need to restore my system but when I run the restore CD it says it can,t find the server both auto & manual. Can anyone help?

Don Williams

Saturday, June 19, 2010 6:56 PM

All replies

• Try disconnecting from the internet and see then if it will connect. If not, you can try running a cable directly to the WHS machine to see if you can connect that way. It could be a DHCP problem in your setup.

Cruise

Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:12 PM
  • On 6/19/2010 2:12 PM, cruiseman70 wrote:

Try disconnecting from the internet and see then if it will connect. If not, you can try running a cable directly to the WHS machine to see if you can connect that way. It could be a DHCP problem in your setup.

Cruise

Also note that the cable would have to be a crossover cable (not the straight-thru cable that you have connected to your router).

Have a great day:)
    Patrick.

Smile... Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Have you updated today?
    http://update.microsoft.com

Smile.. Someone out there cares deeply for you.
    Saturday, June 19, 2010 7:27 PM
  • Also note that the cable would have to be a crossover cable (not the straight-thru cable that you have connected to your router).

Probably not, actually. Almost all modern NICs (anything manufactured in the last few years) will autodetect the cabling and hook up just fine. With older NICs, however, that would probably be true.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 1:23 AM
  • The sever backsup each night and other modem operations function correctly. The Modem is a Linksys WRT54G. Can I infact connect directly from the desktop to the server, USB or modem cable? I have had the WHS since day 1 and have tried a number of time to restore with no luck. this time I decided to find out why.
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 1:26 PM
  • No, you can't connect via USB or RJ-11 (telephone) cable. You need to use a network (RJ-45) cable.

Probably what's interfering with your attempts to restore is a name resolution issue, so just disconnecting your router from the internet will probably also work. But a straight network cable connection from server to client (no router available) is most reliable, as long as the server is configured to use DHCP (which it will be unless you've changed this)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 20, 2010 3:00 PM
  • If you have a second client PC you can also try to follow the FAQ How to restore a client PC, if the network connection does not work in the CD based restore environment.

Another option would be to create a Windows 7 based recovery stick and try using this, as descrived in this thread.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, June 20, 2010 6:53 PM