none
WHS restore Bootable CD- not able to restore a 64 bit backup RRS feed

• General discussion

• Days not hours were wasted in an attempt to restore a win 7 64 bit Dell Studio laptop. The dell web site for drivers (using the service tag) only has 64 bit drivers for the Nic and sata drives. I have not been able to use the restore program (the very latest) to get back to the last (or any) backups.
    The Vail beta restore disk (selected 64bit) got me further but no cigar - It would allow the Trouble laptop to see my WHS server but would not allow to connect
    A full reload is the next step.
    It is very disappointing and short sited for MS to not take into consideration 64 bit OS devices to restore.
    As I understand - Vail ( the next version of WHS) operates only on 64 bit platform for the server OS to reside (win 2008 r2 derived)
    I guess I will have to resort back to Norton ghost for real peace of mind.
    What a shame - I was convinced that WHS was the answer for the Home user. Oh well........................
    RBlack

------  MS reply's  (see below)

Thanks for the suggestion. We are happy to report that Windows Home Server Vail support 64-bit drivers for a full pc restore. Therefore this suggestion will be resolved as fixed.
    Thanks
    -Windows Home Server Team

___

My follow up response  ( see below)

Hey MS - It is not fixed - Windows home server (not Vail) DOES NOT SUPPORT/PROVIDE A BOOTABLE 64 BIT ENVIRONMENT - MY CLIENT(S) IS A 64 BIT MACHINE - MY SERVER IS NOT - IT IS 32 BIT (HARDWARE). YOU ARE FORCING ME BUY A NEW 64 BIT PC (IN PLACE OF MY 32 BIT SERVER) AND THEN PURCHASE VAIL ( WHICH RUNS ONLY ON A 64 BIT PLATFORM.
    I (WE) NEED A 64 BIT RESTORE CD (ISO) FOR WINDOWS HOME SERVER -= NOT VAIL..........

RBLACK

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:16 PM not an add-in/dev question (From:Windows Home Server & Windows Home Server "Vail" Add-Ins and Developer Information)
    • Changed type Ken WarrenModerator Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:16 PM Not really any type of question at all...
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 7:55 PM

All replies

• As a practical solution, try the "XFiles edition" Restore CD to see if it has driver support for your laptop.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:30 PM
  • Ken:

Thank You for your response >

What is and where can the "XFiles" edition be found? ( to give it a whirl in my sand box)

Ron

Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Ken:

Never mind - I found it.

Ron

Sunday, May 23, 2010 8:40 PM
  • Well, I hate to bust your bubble.. but I have recovered several x64 boxes with whs.  Instead of going off the deep end, you could have asked for help.  It is very simple.  You just need the 32bit drivers of nic and maybe sata on a usb key.  You need to use the Vista 32bit drivers. (http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&osl=EN&catid=6&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=STUDIO1555&hidos=WLH&hidlang=en&TabIndex)   Then when you are in the restore wizard, you just ask it to search for new drivers.  It will find them and you can restore just fine.  This is basic stuff here.  

WHS is based off of win2003R2.  The restore disk is based off of Vista.  Very simple actually.

Sunday, May 23, 2010 9:36 PM
  • Ken:

I integrated the rt32 drivers for the NIC - created a new iso - burn't - booted -Restored -  BAM -  Fini!

Thank You

http://breakinghomeserver.com/ -   good resource

Thank You,

Ron

Sunday, May 23, 2010 10:09 PM
  • Thanks.  Can you provide me with a link that works, I've tried tracking down but your link doesn work.
    Wednesday, September 15, 2010 7:48 AM

• http://breakinghomeserver.com/

Use restore version 1.3  - This ISO has many more 32 bit drivers - in my situation they  matched the 64 bit drivers that the PC's use.

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 8:56 PM
  • stumbled into 'restore win 7 64 bit hell - where can I find the XFILES files, none of the links here seem to be active anymore?
    Tuesday, November 22, 2011 10:04 PM
  • The only downloads now are from torrents.  Find one you trust.  The breakinghomeserver website was closed down due to lack of funding.  This is about the only link I trust.  However, the usual caveat applies:  USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. 

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

BullDawg
    Wednesday, November 23, 2011 6:37 AM
  • Thanks Bulldawg.

In the end I used the Olaf method, pulled the drive, slapped it into a USB container, attached it to a Vista 32 PC, and restored the drive that way, but it was painfull. A couple of hours to restore a 500gig drive that's only 55% full. Yikes!

Friday, November 25, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Know about that "painfull" slow.  I am currently restoring about 7 TB's from a v1 server data backup due to hardware failure.  I'm looking at a couple of days if it continues well.

--

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks Bulldawg.

In the end I used the Olaf method, pulled the drive, slapped it into a USB container, attached it to a Vista 32 PC, and restored the drive that way, but it was painfull. A couple of hours to restore a 500gig drive that's only 55% full. Yikes!

BullDawg
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:24 AM