Various Home Server Questions - Offline Files, Folder Redirection, Document Sharing, Ability to 'Sync' non-network folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

I'm currently running Server 2003 in my home but would like to make it significantly easier and put in Windows Home Server, but I have a few questions before going out and buying one- namely whether it can replicate functions in Server 2003 that I am used to.

This is what my setup would be- 5 computers running XP or Vista, and 4 users (one computer is my home and one for daily travel)

• Offline Files
      • I have frequent use of the Offline Files feature in Windows- and I travel daily with my Laptop. Can Windows Home Server allow me to use Offline Files so that I can access my documents wherever I am.
    • Folder Redirection
      • Can you redirect just the documents folder to the user's equivalent folder in WHS?
    • Document Sharing
      • We operate a small business which means that two users need to have a folder for their personal documents, as well as business documents i.e. John, Sally and SmallBusiness folders. Can this be done with WHS so that this 'Business Documents' folder can be created or does each user have to have their own documents folder?
    • Sync Non-Network Folders
      • We all use Outlook with PSTs, which won't work over the network. Does WHS have the ability to backup these folders from the local machine?

I am happy with Server 2003, but it really is too advanced for day-to-day admin and use.

Thursday, January 31, 2008 8:13 AM

All replies

•  J Howland wrote:

I have frequent use of the Offline Files feature in Windows- and I travel daily with my Laptop. Can Windows Home Server allow me to use Offline Files so that I can access my documents wherever I am.

Yes you can, although there is currently a minor issue when using office files in of-line folders.

J Howland wrote:
    Can you redirect just the documents folder to the user's equivalent folder in WHS?
    You could do that, however that would require they are always connected to the server if they need any of these documents

J Howland wrote:
    We operate a small business which means that two users need to have a folder for their personal documents, as well as business documents i.e. John, Sally and SmallBusiness folders. Can this be done with WHS so that this 'Business Documents' folder can be created or does each user have to have their own documents folder?
    Yes, this is easy to setup in WHS

J Howland wrote:
    We all use Outlook with PSTs, which won't work over the network. Does WHS have the ability to backup these folders from the local machine?
    WHS is actually designed to backup all of the clients completely. The WHS backup does not allow you to select individual files or folders, you can only deselect particular folders.

A lot more info about the way WHS works and what you can do with it can be found overhere: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/windowshomeserver/support.mspx

Thursday, January 31, 2008 11:08 AM
  • Yes you can, although there is currently a minor issue when using office files in of-line folders.

I've tried to use Offline files with WHS, and yes, there is an issue with Office files. Do you know if there is a fix in the works?

Thanks much!
    Friday, February 1, 2008 4:58 PM

• Ok, I found the forum thread "Offline files synchronized with WHS won't open offline."

I hope Microsoft fixes this real soon!

Friday, February 1, 2008 5:31 PM
  • And, to do Outlook backups, there's the Outlook PST backup tool.  It auto-copies your PST files to wherever you tell it to, every time you close Outlook.
    Friday, February 1, 2008 5:51 PM
  • The only issues I have with Office files is that you can't open, edit, or resave them when you're offline.   

Friday, February 1, 2008 7:20 PM