none
Any plan to support partitions mounted as ntfs folders in Synctoy ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, and thanks for the new SyncToy 2.1 which appears to run fine under Windows 7.
    One of the few options that I'm missing is the ability for Synctoy to recognize 'drives mounted as ntfs folders' as true folders.
    I'm pretty sure this lack of functionality - ignoring folder-mounted drives - is by design, but an option to allow Synctoy to follow such junctions would help a lot...
    For instance when backing up data which is, for convenience purpose, spanned across several internal disks (in my case, a folder 'Photos' under My Pictures is actually a second drive).
    Friday, November 13, 2009 10:04 AM

Answers

• Thank you very much, HotShotFry!

Now I understand your scenario. I am going to let our devs know your issue.

I tried the mounted folder with the tool provided at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx . (I wish if you could help me to confirm if I was using the correct tool, because I had found some different ways to create NTFS junction point) I found that SyncToy indeed does not work with a mounted folder if it is a sub-folder of one sync folder. But it is funny that SyncToy seems work if the mounted folder itself is a sync folder. 

Thus you can try a rough work around that creating an additional SyncToy folder pair between the mounded folder (“My Pictures\PhotosPartition” in your scenario) and the corresponding sub-folder on the other side. But there are some defects in this work around. The biggest trouble is many sync failures will be shown although you have synced successfully with the additional folder pair.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, November 30, 2009 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi HotShotFry,

I am not quite understand what did you mean by 'drives mounted as ntfs folders', but current SyncToy allows to set a storage driver or partitions, as “Left Folder” and “Right Folder” of SyncToy.

For instance, if you want to sync one partition of your hard disk (say “e:\”) and a USB storage device (say “h:\”), you can feel free to add a SyncToy folder pair with “e:\” as “Left Folder” and “h:\” as “Right Folder”.

I hope this could be helpful. If the instance above does not cover your condition, would you mind describe your scenario in more details, please?

Thanks

Friday, November 27, 2009 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

the scenario : I have a partition (used to store my digital pictures) without any drive letter assigned, but mounted as a folder on another NTFS partition, e.g. in My Pictures\PhotosPartition.

When asking Synctoy to backup the "My Pictures" folder to an external USB storage, it syncs all the content of "My Pictures" except the content of the folder "PhotosPartition". It therefore appears that SyncToy can not synchronize volumes mounted as folders (thanks to NTFS Junctions).

Any plans to allow it? If it's by design, it would be nice to have an option like "Allow syncing/following NTFS junctions"
    Friday, November 27, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Thank you very much, HotShotFry!

Now I understand your scenario. I am going to let our devs know your issue.

I tried the mounted folder with the tool provided at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896768.aspx . (I wish if you could help me to confirm if I was using the correct tool, because I had found some different ways to create NTFS junction point) I found that SyncToy indeed does not work with a mounted folder if it is a sub-folder of one sync folder. But it is funny that SyncToy seems work if the mounted folder itself is a sync folder. 

Thus you can try a rough work around that creating an additional SyncToy folder pair between the mounded folder (“My Pictures\PhotosPartition” in your scenario) and the corresponding sub-folder on the other side. But there are some defects in this work around. The biggest trouble is many sync failures will be shown although you have synced successfully with the additional folder pair.

Thanks

Monday, November 30, 2009 9:25 AM
  • You got the story right :)
    Strange behaviour indeed. Thanks for reporting it to the dev team...
    Monday, November 30, 2009 10:05 AM