none
Wells Fargo download QFX file - script to fix up missing end-of-line RRS feed

All replies

• I created an account just to respond to you.  I love you. :)

This worked GREAT!  I was just about to drop Microsoft Money Sunset in lieu of Quicken with Direct Connect all because of this issue.  You fixed it.

You're a God among men.

Sunday, September 2, 2018 12:43 AM
  • @Arkturus,

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad that the script is useful for others also.

Sunday, September 2, 2018 3:45 PM
  • I've also made a minor update to the script to make it compatible with Python3.

You DON'T need to download the new version if the original one is working for you.

You can get the script from

https://github.com/hleofxquotes/hleofxquotes/blob/master/dist/misc/fixWellsFargo.py

Popup menu over the "Raw" button and "Save link as" 

Sunday, September 2, 2018 3:47 PM
  • It has been a week and the WF problem still not resolved itself ... and I am kind of tired having to pop down to the command-line level to run the python script.

So here is a Java version

• You can just drag-and-drop the WF qfx file onto the tool and it will convert the to the "correct" format
    • It also offer to open the converted file as OFX so you can just click a button to have it imported into Money

https://github.com/hleofxquotes/hleofxquotes/tree/master/dist/misc/fixWellsFargoQfx

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 5:03 PM
  • It has been a week and the WF problem still not resolved itself ... and I am kind of tired having to pop down to the command-line level to run the python script.

Batch files automate that pretty well. Easy to make and modify. Below is an example.  Note that '^' at the end of a line says to to treat the next line as a continuation line. You could just put the two line's contents into one line instead of using the '^' character. Any line that starts with "rem" is a remark (comment)

============begin fixWellsFargo.bat ====================
    rem presume mn is a folder within your documents folder
    rem that contains the fixWellsFargo.py  file
    cd %homepath%\documents\mn
    rem modify next line as needed to provide proper paths
    c:\python27\python.exe  fixWellsFargo.py  -i ^
     %homepath%\downloads\Checking1.qfx -o WF.ofx

rem send  WF.ofx to Money:
    WF.ofx

============end fixWellsFargo.bat ====================

So if you create the batch file, how do you launch it? While you could run it from a command window, you could also put the batch file on your desktop and double-click it to launch. You could also create a shortcut to the batch file, and put the shortcut wherever you like.

You can even have the Windows Task Scheduler run a bach file on a schedule, but I think this batch file is one where that would not be useful. 

Wednesday, September 5, 2018 8:11 PM
  • Thank you. Works great for me.

Can you perhaps just quickly explain how you fixed this problem because I tried to manually enter the new lines and I still get an error. 

I was trying to make a VisualBasic program to fix the problem before I found this post, and I could never make it work correctly. 

Friday, September 7, 2018 9:46 PM
  • @BrandonMD

In general, the OFX/QFX should have two parts

• Headers
    • Body
    • With a new line separating the two parts

Headers should look like this

OFXHEADER:100
    DATA:OFXSGML
    VERSION:102
    SECURITY:TYPE1
    ENCODING:USASCII
    CHARSET:1252
    COMPRESSION:NONE
    OLDFILEUID:NONE
    NEWFILEUID:NONE

And a body that look like this

<OFX>
      <SIGNONMSGSRSV1>
        <SONRS>
          <STATUS>
            <CODE>0
            <SEVERITY>INFO
            <MESSAGE>SUCCESS
          </STATUS>
    </OFX>

If you look at the python script

• For the headers, I have a list of valid headers and just insert the newline at the start of each header
    • For the body, I find '<' and pre-pend a newline

Then make sure I add a newline separating the two parts.

Saturday, September 8, 2018 4:44 AM
  • So, I may be an idiot on these fixes, but I cannot get anything to work.

Are there any 'easy' downloads for this fix?

I tried to see where the errors are in the files but cannot make that work either.

Thanks

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 11:49 AM
  • So I may actually be an idiot! I realized I was not using the command prompt and it seems to have worked.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 11:55 AM
  • I finally got through to WF today.  I use MoneyDance financial software.  WF response was, "We only support Quicken."

I do not believe them, but it was the quickest way to get me off the phone.

Before calling and before finding this thread, I had written a LibertyBasic program to fix the CR/LF problem.  I bet that it would easily port to VisualBasic.  So if anybody is interested, post a request.

Very irritating problem. 

Monday, October 22, 2018 8:57 PM
  • I think the most useful thing would be a program that would be associated with the QFX file type. That would scrub the QIF properly and write the result to a *.ofx file. That OFX file would then be fed to mnyimprt.exe which passes it on to Money.

Since *.ofx is already associated with  mnyimprt.exe, that association could be used.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 12:23 AM