WHS back up fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working this issue for several days and hours...When I initiate a backup after 5 mins it fails. It advises to do chkdsk /f /r which I have dome several time with no change. After this I deleted the client from the WHS and re installed..still failed. I made one more CHKDSK, on all 4 drives, and still fails.

This is the log file entry from the last attempt today.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: HomeServer

Event Category: HomeBackup

Event ID: 770

Date: 18/03/2010

Time: 10:40:48

User: N/A

Computer: SPIRIT

Description:

Backup set 3 on SERVER failed: Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeException: Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED)) ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x8000FFFF): Catastrophic failure (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8000FFFF (E_UNEXPECTED))

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.IVssBackupComponents.IsVolumeSupported(Guid ProviderId, String pwszVolumeName)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet.CreateShadowVolume(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.VSS.ShadowVolumeSet..ctor(VolumeInfo[] volumes)

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.RunWithoutCatch()

at Microsoft.HomeServer.Backup.BackupOp.BackupSetOperation.Run()

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Error

Event Source: VSS

Event Category: None

Event ID: 8193

Date: 17/03/2010

Time: 17:38:07

User: N/A

Computer: SPIRIT

Description:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x80070422.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Data:

0000: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC

0008: 33 30 39 36 00 00 00 00 3096....

0010: 42 55 45 43 58 4d 4c 43 BUECXMLC

0018: 34 31 39 33 00 00 00 00 4193....

Can anyone help me please.
    Thank you in anticipation
    Transco1

Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:55 AM

All replies

• Run chkdsk /r on each of the drives in the home computer you're having problems with.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:36 AM
  • Hi Ken,  I have done that 6 times for all the drives on the client.
    I have  found another help on forum but that does not work either  here is the log

Here are the magic lines:

1. From command prompt:

Cd windows\system32
    Net stop vss
    Net stop swprv
    regsvr32 ole32.dll
    regsvr32 vss_ps.dll
    Vssvc /Register
    regsvr32 /i swprv.dll ------- I get 0x8000ffff
    regsvr32 /i eventcls.dll
    regsvr32 es.dll
    regsvr32 stdprov.dll
    regsvr32 vssui.dll -------- This one is fixed file missing... I had Loadlibrary ("vssui")failed The specified module could not be found
    regsvr32 msxml.dll .
    regsvr32 msxml3.dll
    regsvr32 msxml4.dll  -------  File exists ..Loadlibrary ("msxml4.dll") failed The specified module could not be found

This is the results from this exercise

Should add that I am running XP sp3 32bit on the affected client.

Help....please

Thanks

Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:46 AM
  • If you got 0x8000ffff when doing "regsvr32 /i swprv.dll", you could try these steps

1. Deleted registry entry for SwPrv
    2. Deleted com3 key and COM+ folders as per messages and links above. Rebooted
    3. From the working computer with the same OS version exported MS Software Shadow Copy Provider application. To do so, Start Component Services, expand to "COM+ Applications", right-click on "MS ... Provider" name and choose "Export" from the menu. On the next screen choose "Export user identities with roles"
    4. On the computer-in-need:
        - start component services
        - expand to "my computer" node
        - right-click on "COM+ Applications" and choose "new" --> "Application"
        - choose "Install pre-built application" button and navigate to the MSI package. Keep all defaults.
    After the process completes, there is proper COM+ application as well as the service installed.
    If there is any errors during the process, there is some left-over running and it is necessary to clean the registry and reboot then repeat COM+ install.

and then run the magic command lines again.

Thanks.

Friday, March 19, 2010 1:28 AM