Restore CD + USB memory stick w/drivers = no wired network RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm trying to restore a laptop with the Restore CD and the drivers from the "Windows Home Server Drivers for Restore" folder, pulled from the backup on the server. The Scan feature finds the drivers for the wireless NIC, but doesn't find the wired device. I've tried this with the entire "Windows Home..Restore" folder on the USB stick and also by having just the drivers for the NIC on it. Neither is working.

What can I do now?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:38 AM

All replies

• Note that I did confirm via Device Manager that the correct driver is on the USB stick.
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:15 AM
  • Can you tell us about the actual hardware in the laptop?
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 3:56 PM
  • Other possibilty is that the NIC is disabled in the system BIOS, or that the wireless is set as preferred NIC. You could try diabling the wireless NIC in the system BIOS during restore.

Sunday, February 24, 2008 4:12 PM
  • Thank you both for the quick response.

I checked the BIOS and the only networking related item was network boot.

Here's the hardware info: HP Pavillion dv9500 "entertainment laptop". NIC is NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller and lists the following drivers:

* nvmfdx32.sys
    * fdco1.dll
    * nvconrm.dll

I currently have wireless turned off on the laptop and it's successfully connected via wired NIC, so it does indeed work.

Thanks!
    Jeff
    Sunday, February 24, 2008 5:03 PM
  • It looks like my last post may have been misleading.

We re-installed Windows via the HP emergency restore thing, crapware and all. This is how I can connect via wired NIC. However, I still cannot connect when trying to restore the previous system via the Restore CD.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Tuesday, February 26, 2008 12:02 AM
  • Hi Jeff if you post your actual complete model number I'll look on hp's site for you...

Or go here, to Download Drivers for Nvida Note that you would want to extract them to a folder on your USB stick, and not just run the program, I believe.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 1:37 AM