Install Dell windows 7 on Dell computer with new motherboard RRS feed

• Question

• Hard to find a clear answer.

I have a Dell XPS 8500 with Windows 7 Professional.  Dell motherboard has failed twice in a little more than a year.  First time it was in extended warranty and now a year later it outside of warranty and Dell wants me to buy their inferior motherboard for $300 to solve my problem.  

Long story short I purchased a Gigabyte motherboard and installed it in my Dell computer, everything else the same.  I have tried several times to get Windows Pro 7 to work.  I first used the original harddrive, which seems OK except it refuses to boot, eventually landing me in a screen saying Windows is incompatible with my PC (after using Dell's Operating System disk).  

I also attempted to recover from a backup using software to ensure any different chip drivers would be present and the result is identical. 

I do not want to reinstall the operating system as I have an incredible amount of software installed and configured.  Last time I did that it took about 3 days work and it would be worse now.  I need this computer desperately for my business processing audio, video, and website development.  

Wednesday, July 30, 2014 8:08 PM

Answers