Unanswered Questions For All Forums RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

Before in the old forums we had a page that allowed us to view unanswered questions in all forums.   Can we get a page like that in this forums or way to view post in multiple categories at the same time.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 11:41 PM

All replies

• I think you need to define what you mean by "all forums".

I know something about SharePoint, so in my case it would make sense if in addition to the Unanswered Questions button for a particular SharePoint forum, it was possible on the page that lists all the SharePoint forums to have a list of the Unanswered questions for all those forums.

I know know much less about the subjects of most of the other forums so it would make no sense at all to have a way to get a list of ALL forums.

I doubt if there is anyone out there who is an expert on every subject for which there is a forum.

But unanswered forums for all forums in one group of forums, OK, that makes sense. (Even if I wouldn't use it myself because there are enough unanswered messages to keep anyone busy in just ONE of those SharePoint forums).
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:02 AM grammar - much little (ugh!) repelaced by much less
    Monday, September 15, 2008 10:12 AM
  • To follow up on what Mike said, we have talked about the possibility of a "My Forums" view, where you define what forums you are intersted on, and then could apply filters from there. This isn't coming in the immediate future though.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, September 15, 2008 4:55 PM
  • In the old forums we had unanswered for all.  It was a lot easier to rack up the points just watching the answered in all.  Forums view seems like it will do pretty much the same thing except with filtering.  Filtering in the UnansweredQuestions.aspx doesn't work.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/UnansweredQuestions.aspx?SiteID=1

Tuesday, September 16, 2008 4:26 AM
  • In the old forums we had unanswered for all.  It was a lot easier to rack up the points

I don't think the point is to "rack up the points".

The point is surely to provide good quality answers.

I doubt if anyone can provide *good quality* answers in every forum.
    Tuesday, September 16, 2008 6:04 AM
  • I agree with Mike on this.  For example, the OCS forums right now are on their own separate URL so the current Unanswered link is great; it lists all unanswered posts across all OCS forums so I can easily check the page for anything I can assist with and be on my way.  Most users with the knowledge to assist others are busy working on the products themselves and don't have time to check 20 different sub-forums multiple times per day.  Alternatively, the old main TechNet forum's Unanswered link was useless to me as I only contribute to the Exchange and Windows forums there, but that link shows EVERY post in the site which was mainly SharePoint and SQL questions.  That's just way too much data to filter through just to find Exchange and Windows posts, so I have to check all the Exchange categories manually which just doesn't happen often.  Also only the sub-furms name is shown, so you don't know if a post under "General Discussions" is in the Exchange, or SQL, or SharePoint group.

Now as great as the new site is, I'm not excited about the OCS forums moving over here yet as there will be no way to view all posts across under all OCS categories, either Answered, Unanswered, No Replies, etc.  I really think each product's main forums list needs to have these links.  I've tried building a link using a custom URL, but it appears the engine doesn't support listing posts like this.

Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 2:06 PM