none
Paragraph spacing after lists

Question

• I would prefer it if there were less vertical whitespace after a paragraph and before a list, and also if there were more vertical whitespace after a list and before a paragraph.

To give you an idea of what I mean, when I have a preamble followed by a list, the list is set off vertically from the paragraph before it, however there is no vertical space setting off the list from the paragraph below it.  This is counterintuitive because I usually provide a list after a paragraph that says what the list is about.

Here's an example (see below the hr line): Note the lack of vertical whitespace after a list and before the paragraph that follows it.

Also observe how the lists are not set off from the paragraph that follows them.

Interestingly when editing the post, the proper vertical whitespace (paragraph spacing) is used, and not until you submit do you see that the space is much different.  So it's inconsistent.

Here is an opening paragraph.

Here is my first list:

• one
    • two
    • three

Here is my second list:

1. one
    2. two
    3. three

Another paragraph.

Yet another paragraph.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 1:35 PM

Answers

All replies

• It is a known issue that what you see in the forums editor is not what you get after you click "Submit". White space (blank lines) often get removed. However, your specific issues has not been reported before (extra space before a list but not after).

A work around would be to use the "Insert HTML" button and insert <br> tags (carriage returns) where you want them. For example, here is a list:

• Item one
    • Item two

Next paragraph, and another list:

• Item one again
    • Item two again

Now a final paragraph. But I use the HTML editor to insert an extra <br> tag after "Item two again" (after the closing tags "</li></ul>" and before the next "<p>" tag). However, modifying the HTML is not pretty, and before I click "Submit" it looks like there are 3 blank lines after the final list and before this paragraph.

Richard Mueller - MVP Directory Services

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:08 PM
  • I'm getting awfully tired of editing HTML.  I easily spend 20% of my reply writing time in the HTML editor already.

And it pains me to insert the wrong markup to workaround an issue.  It's not in the spirit of HTML/CSS and it becomes a wart to be removed when the real CSS fix eventually comes through.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:41 PM
  • I agree we should never need to resort to the HTML editor. I have gotten far more expert in HTML than I ever wanted. I would add a feature request under forums in this Wiki:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4703.feature-requests-for-technet-and-msdn-profiles-and-social-platform-tools.aspx

The editor has so many quirks, and I don't see an entry in the Wiki article I linked that addresses any of the WYSIWYG issues.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 4:52 PM
  • I think that WYSIWYG would be the feature (which we already have), and the particulars about quirky style such as the spacing I mentioned, or a particular case where what you see is NOT what you get just constitutes a bug to me.  I'm reluctant to add anything to the wiki for that reason, because it's not a feature request and my complaint there seems not to match the intent of the wiki article.  This is really just a bug, in my opinion.

If you think I've misjudged this situation, then please let me know.  But I really just think there should be a place to report bugs (and I thought this forum was it.)

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 5:23 PM
  • I think I have to agree with your analysis. And this is the place to report bugs. I just don't think we have true WYSIWYG now (because of the quirks).

Tuesday, July 2, 2013 7:22 PM