can not open shared folders !!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am a Vista machine,can open windows home server comsole,but can not open shared folders, if turn off symantec endpoint firewall can open shaerd folders.

Another XP with symantec endpoint and turn on  symantec endpoint firewall ,  can open windows home server comsole,also can open shaerd folders.

why ? or config symantec endpoint firewall ?

thanks a lot.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 3:41 PM

Answers

•  

You would need to open the firewall logs and find the rule that is blocking the traffic.  Since the tcp stack is a total rewrite the traffic is probably not identified the same on the vista machine.  At any rate the log would tell you what rule created the denied and you could change the rule to allow or create a new rule higher up the rule set to allow the blocked traffic.  The Endpoint firewall is strickly a top to bottom rule set so once the traffic hits a rule to allow or deny no other rules are considered.

Ron

Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:47 PM

All replies

• It sounds like it could be the endpoint firewall - are they both configured the same with the same ruleset?

Andrew

Saturday, October 27, 2007 3:48 PM
  •  

yes,same rule set. originality rule set.

Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:01 PM
  •  

You would need to open the firewall logs and find the rule that is blocking the traffic.  Since the tcp stack is a total rewrite the traffic is probably not identified the same on the vista machine.  At any rate the log would tell you what rule created the denied and you could change the rule to allow or create a new rule higher up the rule set to allow the blocked traffic.  The Endpoint firewall is strickly a top to bottom rule set so once the traffic hits a rule to allow or deny no other rules are considered.

Ron

Saturday, October 27, 2007 10:47 PM
  •  TONG-YANG wrote:

I am a Vista machine,can open windows home server comsole,but can not open shared folders, if turn off symantec endpoint firewall can open shaerd folders.

Another XP with symantec endpoint and turn on  symantec endpoint firewall ,  can open windows home server comsole,also can open shaerd folders.

why ? or config symantec endpoint firewall ?

thanks a lot.

Tong-Yang,

I had similar problems while using nod32 on my server and my client pc was caching the wrong username password.  I would suggest temporarily removing the antivirus from your server and try this account password reset process.  When its fixed then reinstall your antivirus on your server(if you even have one installed).

password process-

On the client computer giving you the headaches launch the following from your Start > Run menu:

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

Then find the name of your WHS, highlight it and "Remove it".

Logoff, then back in, and update your password one final time through the WHS client.

If all goes well, it should resolve it.

-post provided by dmxrob

hope this helps

-velvet

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:28 AM
  • thanks.

config firewall rule:

File and print sharing:
    TCP: 139 | 445
    UDP: 137 | 138

Sunday, October 28, 2007 1:45 AM
  • I have pretty much the same problem and I am wondering how you config the firewall rule, is it:

one rule for the TCP protocol with 139 for remote ports and 445 for local ports?

and

one rule for UDP protocol with 137 for remote ports and 138 for local ports?

Thursday, January 17, 2008 5:45 PM