Support for .M4A files on WHS2011 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I have a ton of music files recorded in the lossless audio format known as .M4A.  Is there any way WHS2011 can support that format (as pretty much my entire music collection is recorded in this format)? Currently, the files do not appear whatsoever in the library.  Very frustrating to say the least.  I've already tried instructions from the following link with no success:

http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/01/playing-flac-files-in-media-center.html

Anyone know the fix to support .M4A files?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Ringo

• Moved by Ken Warren Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:18 PM WHS 2011 question (From:Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation)
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 11:22 AM

All replies

• M4A is Apple's lossless format, and when I pressed the same issue quite a while ago, Microsoft eventually closed the bug reports I submitted as "won't fix". Part of the problem is that it's a proprietary format (Apple doesn't publish the specifications for it) and has to be reverse engineered, and part of the problem is that it's an Apple (i.e. non-Microsoft) format. Of course, Microsoft also closed as "won't fix" a bug I submitted about an issue with WMA Lossless...

Bottom line: there is no fix.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, October 22, 2011 1:06 PM
  • I want to add this, just so someone doesn't  think that WHS2011 fails to deal with m4a at all:

iTunes libraries reside just fine on WHS2011. Also, iTunes clients play the m4a music nicely, and there's no problem with the backups/restores.

Monday, October 24, 2011 12:16 AM
  • James, the OP rather clearly wants his server to be able to stream .m4a files natively. That isn't (and probably won't ever be) supported.

Also, I'll note that multiple instances of iTunes sharing an iTunes library is a good way to corrupt that library. iTunes allows you to stream to other computers/devices, but isn't designed to share the underlying files with other clients.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, October 24, 2011 11:29 AM