MS Money Crashes when making a backup file RRS feed

• Question

• Recently when closing out of MS Money (Microsoft Money Plus Deluxe Sunset) it crashes when making the back up files.  Windows XP system

I had it set make a back up file every time it closes and this worked fine till yesterday and it preforms a scheduled backup every 2 days.  

I had the scheduled back up set to "compress the backup file" and this had been working fine.  About a week ago it started crashing when I it would make the scheduled backup so I changed the setting to not compress the file and this worked for a few more days. Then it started crashing again.

All this time the regular back up continued to work, but now that one is crashing as well.

My back up file shows to be 20.3MB

Have I hit a size limit or something, or is something else going on.

Sunday, October 5, 2014 1:18 PM

All replies

• It's definitely not a size problem.  People report that Money works fine with a 50 Mb file.

What error message do you get when Money crashes?

Is it possible that there is a problem with the backup storage location?

Bill Becker

Sunday, October 5, 2014 2:02 PM
  • Bill,

Thank you for getting back to me.

When I close the program, it gives me the bar graph and says that it is backing up the file.  Then I get the pop up "Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience"  This is the same window that asks if I want to send an error report to Microsoft.

I have checked the back up locations and both are fine with plenty of storage space (on 2 different drives)

Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:40 PM
  • Does the problem occur with any other software?  If not, it is possible your executable file has been corrupted.  Can you reinstall Money?
    Sunday, October 5, 2014 5:48 PM
  • OK, so I unistalled MS Money and reinstalled it.  

It still crashes when it tries to make the back up file.  Opened the money data file on another computer also running XP and it seems to work fine so I don't believe it is the data file.  I also opened a year old data file and it also crashed on back up.  I tried backing up to several different locations and still the same result.  

Sunday, October 5, 2014 10:52 PM
  • Very strange.  One remote possibility is to try applying the mnyob99.dll patch described in the first "sticky" in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

It can't hurt, but since you have only run into problems recently it seems unlikely that the problems this fixes (which has been around for quite a while) is what is causing your crashes.

Bill Becker

Monday, October 6, 2014 1:06 AM
  • I would save a copy of your backups on other media.

Then  make a repaired version of your  curent file with

File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

See if that does better.

Monday, October 6, 2014 1:54 AM
  • I did have the repaired mnyob99.dll file and then after reinstallling the program I substituted the reworked mnyob99.dll file for the one that installed with the program.  I did try running the program before making the substitution and it did the same crash on back up both with the original and the reworked dll file.

I also tried the repair file route a couple of days ago and it did not make any difference.  Again I also tried my money data file on another computer and it saved the back up without issue.  So it seams like it has to be something unique to my computer.  

Any other not so obvious ideas?  I know I am running out of things to try.

Monday, October 6, 2014 3:20 AM
  • Can you open the 'SAMPLE.MNY' file and does your system crash if you try to make a backup of that file?

Teabag

Monday, October 6, 2014 11:45 AM
  • Other things:

Change your backup path to your Documents (MyDocuments) folder.

If that does not do it, I would reinstall Sunset and then put the patched mnyob99.dll file in.

Monday, October 6, 2014 10:08 PM
  • I opened the sample.mny file and it also crashed when making a back up.

I did reinstall Sunset and put in the patched mnyob99.dll file.  I also tried backing up before copying the patched file and it also crashed when making the back up.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 1:10 AM
  • Ok so I started my computer in safe mode and tried it again and the MS Money back up worked fine.

Next I did a system restore back to before I had the problem.  And of course since I had reinstalled Money this caused all sorts of problems that I finally got around.

Long and short after doing the system restore and then reinstalling money again, for now it seems to be working!

I will keep you posted and thank you all for the suggestions.

Tuesday, October 7, 2014 2:57 AM