PP1 Backup speeds RRS feed

• Question

•  

Update went fine but having a few issues

two pc's with 80gb drives have backed up ok

pc i am writing on has 80gb os drive and 3 x 300gb drives  backup failing at around 22%

htpc with 5 x 300gb sata and 1 x 80 sata os drive taken hours and hours and only gets to approx 24%

Any ideas  whs has six 500gb maxtors sata drives and 4gb ram

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:54 PM

Answers

• If you cancel the backup and start a new one via the 'Backup Now" option in the tray icon and you see the same problem.  Please submit a bug with the logs from the PC and your home server via Connect.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:31 PM

All replies

• Please follow the steps in this link for filing a bug: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3445338&SiteID=50

You need to submit a bug with your log files from this PC and your home server to the team so they can troubleshoot this issue.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 5:58 PM
  •  

thanks you must be sick of telling people the same thing

I thought i may have done something stupid or set it up wrong

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:01 PM
  •  

the odd thing is the whs unit has hard drive action and the client pc is still at 24%

pity whilst the units are backing up there isn't a progress bar or packets of info indication so you can identify if the client has froze

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:38 PM
  • Are you backing up over wired network or wireless?  How fast is the wired connection?

Do you have the correct network card drivers for your home server?

Try cancelling the backup and starting a new one from the 'Backup Now' option in the Tray icon on that PC.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 6:51 PM
  •  

sorry the two pc's that have backed up are using 54mps netgear wireless cards

my main pc is wired direct to the router and obviously from the router to the whs unit

the htpc is also netgear 54mps wireless

BUT before PP1 i had no issues

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:17 PM
  • If you cancel the backup and start a new one via the 'Backup Now" option in the tray icon and you see the same problem.  Please submit a bug with the logs from the PC and your home server via Connect.

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:31 PM
  •  

strange thing is my htpc is running vista 64 and is still hanging at backup but when i tried to instal the toolkit i get the error home server connector 1.0 cannot run 64 bit window systems
    Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:12 PM
  • You can put the toolkit msi into the add-ins folder in the software folder located on the Windows Home Server. Open the Windows Home Server Console and click the add-ins tab. You can install it from there to collect server logs.

Are for x64 client logs the toolkit isnt supported. The log locations are listed below.

Vista machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Server logs:         
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:37 PM
  •  AMCross wrote:

strange thing is my htpc is running vista 64 and is still hanging at backup but when i tried to instal the toolkit i get the error home server connector 1.0 cannot run 64 bit window systems

Currently - there is not a version of the Toolkit that runs on Windows Vista x64 - but you can still submit a bug with your log files by zipping the log file folder.  See below:

Submitting Bugs

Every single bug you submit on Connect will require a CAB number with it. To learn how to get a CAB before you submit a bug click this link. https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/content/content.aspx?ContentID=8535.

For those of you that are experiencing a Toolkit issue ... fortunately there is another method.

Zip this folder and upload it with your bug.

XP machine:
    %SystemDrive%\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Vista machine:
    %SystemDrive%\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs

Home Server logs:         

If you do not attach CAB's - the WIndows Home Server teame cannot help you. So please help us all be proactive and submit CAB's with your bug.

Thanks!

Thursday, June 12, 2008 6:38 PM
  •  

well it gets better

now my main machine vista 32 is getting to approx 52% and then a BSOD

reboots and i get this error logs

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:

BCCode: 9f