WHS 2011 Server Restore Error Message (bmruiexe - Application Error) RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to restore my server and I get the following error message.  See attachment.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Wednesday, December 31, 2014 5:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on your description, would you please let me confirm whether this error occurred when choose to use the latest backup or an earlier backup in the Select a system image backup page? Just a confirmation, thanks for your understanding.

Please check HDD and RAM if find some errors. Meanwhile, please check if assign a drive letter to the backup drive.

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Justin Gu Thursday, January 1, 2015 6:24 AM
    Thursday, January 1, 2015 6:23 AM
  • Sr. Night Owl,

I recently had the exact same issue. I was trying to restore from a backup HDD connected through SATA (although, IIRC, I got this error while it was looking for image files, is that what the mostly hidden message box says?). I got around this by connecting the HDD to another PC and there assign a drive letter to it. After reconnecting to the Server, it found the HDD and started the restore.

However, that took aaaaaages. I then tried to connect the backup HDD to the Server through an USB docking station and everything went smooth and quick.

My advice:

- If yours is connected through SATA, try an USB connection (preferably 3.0 of course). If that fails, assign a drive letter to the HDD first

- If yours is connected through an USB connection, assign a drive letter to the HDD or connect through SATA (or both if one does not work)

I would first try another connection, one should not have to assign a drive letter to the backup HDD but in my case it did make a difference.

Friday, January 2, 2015 11:30 AM
  • I get the same message regardless of the backup I try to restore.

Night Owl

Saturday, January 3, 2015 8:32 PM
  • did you check drive letter...? or other advice as above...

Best,

Howtodo

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:04 PM