Renewal RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased a new copy of Live One Care and installed it on a computer that already had a previous subscription on it.  It is still telling me that I need to renew the old copy.  I did an uninstall prior to installing the new copy.  How do I make the new copy work?

Thanks

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 10:58 PM

Answers

• Sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com and select the OneCare subscription. Choose Renew and then renew with a token, which is the 25 character product key.

Your subscription will be extended for 12 more months. No need to reinstall.

In the case where you already reinstalled, if you activated with a LiveID with a subscription about to expire, use the above process. If you have not yet reinstalled or activated, you can simply activate with a new LiveID to create a new subscription and abandon the old one.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:56 AM

All replies

• A valid question and I hope you get an answer.  My subscription is about to expire and I was hoping to find a reatil copy (less expensive than MS $50 renewal fee) and use it to extend my Onecare service.  Was there a registration key/number with yours so you could just enter it to extend service?  That's what I plan to do (crossing my fingers).

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:16 AM
  • Sign in at http://billing.microsoft.com and select the OneCare subscription. Choose Renew and then renew with a token, which is the 25 character product key.

Your subscription will be extended for 12 more months. No need to reinstall.

In the case where you already reinstalled, if you activated with a LiveID with a subscription about to expire, use the above process. If you have not yet reinstalled or activated, you can simply activate with a new LiveID to create a new subscription and abandon the old one.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 1:56 AM
  • Here is the message I get when I try the above.  I don't know where to begin to correct this problem.  Shouldn't I just be able to enter a code and get 12 more months of service?  It appears to me that there are too many security measures in place to prevent fraud.  What is going to happen is, if I am unable to resolve this (and trust me I will NOT spend more than 10 minutes), I will simply install a different antivirus program.  That would mean "so much for preventing fraud, you just lost another customer because the renewal system is too hard to use". This is a nightmare.

Here is what happened.  I got to this screen:

Windows Live OneCare

Purchased: 1/1/2007

End date: 1/1/2008

Renew

Cancel

Account name:

Acct ID# 00000-00000-xxxxx-xxxxx

Payment method:

Prepaid PINs or Product Keys applied to this service.Hide

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-9CFXG

So I click on Renew this service and get this message:

We're sorry; there are no plans available. This can happen for one of the following reasons:

• You currently have this plan or a similar plan. (what?)
    • You have previously purchased this plan.  (first time, first year user)
    • You have this service, but it is not available. (what? it's running right now and I have xx days left)
    • This plan is not available in your Country or Region. (good old USA here)

The following plan(s) are currently, or were previously, associated with your e-mail address, xxxxxxxxx@msn.com
    • Verizon Broadband with MSN Premium ( purchased 5/22/2004,  Subscription status: enabled ) (yep thats my internet provider-so what?)

If you wish to purchase or register an upgrade, please call (800) 386-5550.
    For technical support, please contact MSN support at http://support.msn.com.

If you get this message more than once, report it as a recurring problem.  

Message 3010

Thursday, December 6, 2007 4:01 AM
  • Yes, I believe you should be able to renew with a key at this point. Let me verify this and get back to you.

-steve

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:12 PM
  • HOW DO I MAKE NEW COPY WORK I AM INSTALLING ON 3 COMPUTERS

Thursday, December 6, 2007 7:07 PM
  • PLEASE HELP I HAVE INSTALLED ON 2 OF MY COMPUTERS AND WILL INSTALL ON ONE MORE

Thursday, December 6, 2007 7:09 PM
  • I also have A a new cd with product key and I am unable to make it renew my subscription. I got onecare because it seemed to be a simple solution, but it has now become a hassle.

Thursday, December 6, 2007 7:22 PM
  •  samrobin wrote:

I also have A a new cd with product key and I am unable to make it renew my subscription. I got onecare because it seemed to be a simple solution, but it has now become a hassle.

I am awaiting a response from Microsoft as this should be possible. If you have an active subscription, going to http://billing.microsoft.com and signing in should allow you to renew with a token/pin/key at any time after you initially activate to extend your subscription for 12 months. I have done this myself. There may be a problem server side that is preventing this from working consistently, so hang in there.

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:29 AM
  •  SASCEENANNA wrote:

HOW DO I MAKE NEW COPY WORK I AM INSTALLING ON 3 COMPUTERS

You can install OneCare on 3 computers and then activate it on one with a LiveID and use a retail product key or purchase using a credit card. Once the subscription has been created with the first activation, activate the other 2 computers by clicking subscribe/activate and sign in with the *same* LiveID as the first one. All 3 will now be activated on the same LiveID.

If you are not located in a country where OneCare is available for sale, you will be unable to activate.

See this post for an explanation of you are being redirected to get.live.com during activation: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1202298&SiteID=2

-steve

Friday, December 7, 2007 1:32 AM
  • Just wanted to let everyone know that no one ever got back to me on this problem.

The renewal process was far too complicated and I simply went and purchased a copy of McAfee Internet Security 2008 from Fry's for $60.00 and got a $60.00 rebate in the mail. Here is the link: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5300128

Tuesday, January 22, 2008 9:52 PM
  • The process is not complicated, but there was either a problem with your account or server side when you tried to renew. My advice was to contact support. If you contacted support via the email form and did not get a response, post your case ID and I will have someone investigate.

-steve

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 12:31 PM
  • I live in Phoenix.  My subscription was about to expire, so I went to Costco today and purchased a new copy for $9.99.  I used the new product key to renew my old subscription.  Worked like a charm and saved $40.00

Good Luck to you!
    Wednesday, January 23, 2008 9:19 PM