File system error : Excel Report (2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My Excel Reports (Project Server 2010) worked fine for several months but today I get this error message when I'm trying to add any field in a report:

"File system error: The following file is damged : physical file: \\?\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server \ MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\Gal_Cube.0.db\Fiscal Time.0.dm\1.Fiscal Day attribute.Fiscal Day attribute.ostore".

NB1 : Gal_Cube is an OLAP DB of mine.

NB2 : I don't use fiscal time on this server.

What can be the source of the issue?

Thanks

PS: I cannot create any new Excel Report : I get exactly the same error

• Edited by WLID1966 Saturday, May 19, 2012 2:07 PM I cannot create any new Excel Report
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 1:58 PM

Answers

• Hi there,

If you still have the VM...

Sounds like there is a file system corruption within that cube DB folder. Is this Gal_Cube a default OOTB Project Server OLAP cube? If so, try deleting the Gal_Cube from SQL AS server (load SQL Management Studio, connect to SQL Analysis Services, expand databases and right click on Gal_Cube and click delete). Then open windows explorer on the SQL Server and navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data and delete the Gal_Cube.0.db folder. Now test your other cube builds / excel reports that use other cubes. If the Gal_Cube cube is still required, navigate to the PWA instance, Server Settings, Olap database, select the cube and build now.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Sunday, May 20, 2012 8:00 PM
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 6:47 PM

All replies

• I cannot create any new OLAP database : the same OLAP db "Gal_Cube" is boring me and the same Fiscal Time too:

Error while trying to build a new OLAP DB: any idea?

[19/05/2012 16:51] Failure of OLAP building. Error : Failure of connection to Analysis Services server SRV1. Error : File system error: The following file is corrupted: Physical file: \\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\Gal_Cube.0.db\Fiscal Time.0.dim\1.Fiscal Day attribute.Fiscal Day attribute.ostore. Logical file .
    Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when loading the Fiscal Time dimension, from the file, '\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\Gal_Cube.0.db\Fiscal Time.1.dim.xml'.
    Errors in the metadata manager. An error occurred when loading the Resource Timephased cube, from the file, '\\?\C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data\Gal_Cube.0.db\Resource Timephased.1.cub.xml'.

Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:08 PM
  • If I try to build a new OLAP DB in another PWA instance, I get exactly the same error! ( the same OLAP db "Gal_Cube" is boring me and the same Fiscal Time too)
    Saturday, May 19, 2012 3:29 PM
  • Eventually, I deleted the VM running Project Server 2010 and used a backup :(
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 2:05 PM
  • Hi there,

If you still have the VM...

Sounds like there is a file system corruption within that cube DB folder. Is this Gal_Cube a default OOTB Project Server OLAP cube? If so, try deleting the Gal_Cube from SQL AS server (load SQL Management Studio, connect to SQL Analysis Services, expand databases and right click on Gal_Cube and click delete). Then open windows explorer on the SQL Server and navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSAS10_50.MSSQLSERVER\OLAP\Data and delete the Gal_Cube.0.db folder. Now test your other cube builds / excel reports that use other cubes. If the Gal_Cube cube is still required, navigate to the PWA instance, Server Settings, Olap database, select the cube and build now.

Thanks

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by WLID1966 Sunday, May 20, 2012 8:00 PM
    Sunday, May 20, 2012 6:47 PM
  • Paul,

Thanks a lot for your detailed diagnostic. Unfortunately I deleted the corrupted VM because I needed some more space on my disk. I should have been interested in testing your solution, but I keep it for a next time...

Thanks again

Sunday, May 20, 2012 8:00 PM