DHCP works, Static IP does not. XP Pro client can't find WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to set up a static IP address for my WHS, as I run the Tivo plugin. (TIVO boxes freak out if the WHS gets a different IP.)  When I configured a Static IP on WHS, it seems to work OK. I can get out in the internet on the server, and one of my two home computers seems to work fine. (Can see shares, can run console.)  But my XP Prox box has fits. It seems like it cant resolve the IP address of the server. The Connector toolkit lists all sorts of problems. When I switch WHS back to getting IP address via DHCP, the XP Pro client works fine. I have tried all sorts of TCP/IP properties settings on WHS, including the "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

I have an older Linksys router, with either static or DHCP, the router PnP setting are working fine, no problems in the WHS console.

My router does not have the ability to do DHCP mapping (static IP delivery).

Any hints?

Thanks,

Bruce
    Sunday, December 14, 2008 11:35 PM

Answers

• Hi Bruce,
    after changing the IP address of the server to a fixed one, did you reboot both the server and the client? Maybe you need after that to be a bit more patient, since it takes some time to build up lists for NetBIOS name resolution on the browser master.
    Also on the client you will need to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to reestablish the connection.
    If this fails - did you at any time add a record for your Windows Home Server to the text file (without extension) hosts in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc (on the XP client) to fix name resolution issues? In this case you need also to correct the line pointing to your WHS.
    Which IP address did you add as default gateway, which as DNS server? Both should be the address of the router in the most scenarios.
    You may also post the output of the command line command
    ipconfig /all
    on both the server and the client and try to ping the server from the client by name and by IP address.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:15 AM

All replies

• Hi Bruce,
    after changing the IP address of the server to a fixed one, did you reboot both the server and the client? Maybe you need after that to be a bit more patient, since it takes some time to build up lists for NetBIOS name resolution on the browser master.
    Also on the client you will need to run discovery.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server to reestablish the connection.
    If this fails - did you at any time add a record for your Windows Home Server to the text file (without extension) hosts in C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc (on the XP client) to fix name resolution issues? In this case you need also to correct the line pointing to your WHS.
    Which IP address did you add as default gateway, which as DNS server? Both should be the address of the router in the most scenarios.
    You may also post the output of the command line command
    ipconfig /all
    on both the server and the client and try to ping the server from the client by name and by IP address.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 15, 2008 12:15 AM
  • Olaf,

I ran discovery.exe and got all green checkmarks. The WHS task bar icon went green. But  still could not connect to the WHS shares or run the console. I then added an entry to the host files for the WHS. Then explorer locked up tying to get to the WHS shares. I had to hard power off my client box. It seemed like it did not like the authenication to the WHS. I went into WHS console and reset my password to the account. They I waited a bit. It then worked. I am not sure what fixed things. Perhapse I all needed was to wait a bit for NetBIOS names to set up.

Thanks for you reply, it gave me a few more things to try out, and a bit more motivation.

Regards from Peoria Illinois USA,
    Bruce
    Monday, December 15, 2008 8:10 AM