Gen Advantage saying my Office 2003 is not genuine RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a (new) PC from a UK computer retail company called Mesh in 2005. When doing so, I also ordered a copy of MS Office Professional Edition 2003 from Mesh. I still have the CD, and it has a label on the front saying it is OEM software.

I installed the software myself when I got the PC. I remember having to call MS about it a few weeks after doing so (because the validation process hadn't worked properly and the programmes had gone into the reduced functionality mode), but someone sorted it for me on the helpline, and it had worked fine ever since (ie for over four years).

Within the last week or so, though, whenever I've started Outlook, a Genuine Advantage dialogue box has come up saying the software is not valid (or something along those lines, can't remember the exact wording). I clicked on the button on the dialogue box to find out more and the diagnosis is as follows:

Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

Problem: The product key used to install Office has been identified by Microsoft as a key that was issued to a large, corporate customer. This key is reserved for the exclusive use of this customer, and cannot be used to install other copies of Microsoft Office.

I guess the 'large, corporate customer' mentioned in there is Mesh. But, as I say, they're a UK computer retailer, and they sold me an OEM version of the software.

Having tried to find examples of other people with this kind of problem, it seems the thing to do is to run the diagnostic tool and post the results here, so please see below.

Please could someone get back to me with their thoughts about what I can do to get my copy of Office to be seen as Genuine again.

Thank you.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-8T9WX-PJTC9-XT463
    Windows Product Key Hash: GslqibECQhq1XcwvahhNEJ6oFng=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2257973-68921
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {68721424-1848-4594-98DA-46BC4C751883}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 0
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{68721424-1848-4594-98DA-46BC4C751883}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-XT463</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2257973-68921</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-73586283-839522115-695823016</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>System Product Name</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Phoenix Technologies, LTD</Manufacturer><Version>ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE ACPI BIOS Revision 1016</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20051201000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>1DA13E5701844066</HWID><UserLCID>0809</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>GMT Standard Time(GMT+00:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57470</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Sunday, October 11, 2009 4:17 PM

Answers

• Hello WLIVE2009,

Here is a snippet of your mgadiag report:

OGA Data-->

Your computer's current installation of Office is not the OEM installation that came with it from Mesh; that has been replaced with a nongenuine Volume Licensing installation of Office Professional 2003.

Please run the Save My Settings Wizard http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826809 then uninstall the nongenuine installation of Office Professional 2003.  Restart the computer twice, then use the OEM installation CDs and the OEM Product Key on the OEM Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the CD sleeve you received from Mesh to install your OEM license of Office Professional 2003.  Restart once more, then visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Offcie button to clear the OGA Notifier cache and validate your OEM installation of Office Professional 2003.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:29 PM

All replies

• Hello WLIVE2009,

Here is a snippet of your mgadiag report:

OGA Data-->

Your computer's current installation of Office is not the OEM installation that came with it from Mesh; that has been replaced with a nongenuine Volume Licensing installation of Office Professional 2003.

Please run the Save My Settings Wizard http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826809 then uninstall the nongenuine installation of Office Professional 2003.  Restart the computer twice, then use the OEM installation CDs and the OEM Product Key on the OEM Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the CD sleeve you received from Mesh to install your OEM license of Office Professional 2003.  Restart once more, then visit www.microsoft.com/genuine and click on the Validate Offcie button to clear the OGA Notifier cache and validate your OEM installation of Office Professional 2003.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Sunday, October 11, 2009 6:29 PM
  • Hi Dan, thank you very much for your reply; much appreciated.

I'll do what you suggested, but can I just double check that I won't lose any Outlook-related files, ie my archive of existing emails, contacts, etc, etc?

Will those all be saved either with the Save My Settings Wizard or through my normal .pst file (which I've put a copy of at the top of my C drive just to be on the safe side)?

Many thanks again.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:45 PM
  • Hello WLIVE2009,

The wizard saves "just about everything but" your files, meaning it is not wrtten to save documents and the contents of the .pst file.

It's never a bad idea to back up your pst file and your documents just in case, but a normal uninstallation/reinstallation of Office on a computer is not written to remove any documents, data, or pst file contents (email, contacts, notes, calendar, etc..

Note that if you are archving emails, you will have at least two pst files, one being your active pst and one (or more) being your archives.

Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:17 PM
  • Great, thx again, I'll give it a go.

Just fyi, i'm baffled as to why WGA is seeing my software as non-genuine. I installed it myself 4 years ago, and although I did have my hard drive wiped once after a flood, I gave the disks to the repair people and I can't see why they would have gone to the trouble of installing a non-genuine version. Weird. More important, that was two years ago, and I've had WGA installed since at least then, and it's only in the last few weeks that I've started getting this msg about my copy of Office. Very odd.

Anyway, thank you.
    Thursday, October 15, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Hello WLIVE2009,

It's possible that your original discs for Office 2003 were incorrect to begin with, in that you were sold Volume Licensing CDs instead of a full retail package with a Certificate of Authenticity, a handbook, and retail hologrammed CDs.  Your installation of office could have started out bad that way.

If your Office 2003 CDs have a medium blue silkscreenining from the 11 o'clock to 4 o'clock posiiton, they are Volume Licensing CDs.  If they are all hologram with no silkscreen overprinting, they are (at least trying to look like) retail or OEM CDs.

Or, it could have gone bad when the computer had all the software reinstalled at the shop after the flood.  Even if you had good retail CDs, and gave them to the shop to use, they could have just used these widely available Volume Licensing CDs with that widely available Product key to do the installation.  Many repair people have never been educated that there is a right way and a wrong way to install software licenses on customer computers.

As to how come it was smooth sailing up until just now, have a look at my last post in this thread for some background:
    http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuineoffice/thread/cac989ee-482c-4567-bf86-a1cba065108e

Thursday, October 15, 2009 7:09 PM