none
New Header in Email Reply for "Alert Me" - Mark as Answer - Includes ... Yourself RRS feed

• Question

• I notice new verbiage in the email reply to post that I have the "Alert Me" selected.  The new text states:

"If you are the Questionnaire, please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post. This will help to resolve the issue discussed in the thread. This includes any reply that was post by yourself or others. In doing so, it will benefit all community members who are facing similar issues. Your contribution is highly appreciated."

My question is regarding the sentence "This includes any reply that was post by yourself or others." 

I had been told before by several Moderators that you should not "Mark as Answer" any reply that was posted by yourself.  Is this a new change in policy?

SOTATS, Inc.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 6:18 AM

Answers

• There's really no official policy on this. I think it's fine to do so if you actually answered your own question. Marking your own question as answer still would net you zero points.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:46 PM
  • I notice new verbiage in the email reply to post that I have the "Alert Me" selected.  The new text states:

"If you are the Questionnaire, please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post. This will help to resolve the issue discussed in the thread. This includes any reply that was post by yourself or others. In doing so, it will benefit all community members who are facing similar issues. Your contribution is highly appreciated."

My question is regarding the sentence "This includes any reply that was post by yourself or others." 

I had been told before by several Moderators that you should not "Mark as Answer" any reply that was posted by yourself.  Is this a new change in policy?

SOTATS, Inc.

Good day Ulysses B Brown Jr,

I will start from the end...

>> I had been told before by several Moderators that you should not "Mark as Answer" any reply that was posted by yourself.

This is one option of my respond to people that propose their own respond as an answer (I save it in text file and use it each time). I am not talking about Mark as Answer, but propose as answer, first.

XXXX, Please do not propose your own answer

By posting an answer we already know that you think that this is THE ANSWER, else why did you post it?!? as well any other person who post an answer. he is sure that he post THE ANSWER. The Idea of proposing an answer is to let someone else say that he also think that this is THE ANSWER.

If each person that think his response is the answer will propose his own answer, then all responses will be marked :-)

* Once you proposes a response as the answer, you might cause others not to read the thread, and the OP might miss responses that fit him better.

But this is not related to threads that you opened!

So... back to the case that you start the thread and Mark as Answer... If you open a thread, then you are responsible to close it. If there is no answer (partially or full answer) that fit to be marked, and if you post an answer that you found yourself (or in another place), then you should mark your response as the answer. You should close the thread to make sure that people do not wast time to read it and try to help if this is already not relevant. In this case is OK and you should do Mark as Answer.

But in my book proposing your own response as answer in someone else thread is unacceptable behavior in a forum (* except of specific administration cases). This is not polite and it's bad behavior.

* For administration purpose, and only in cases that the forum has a single active moderator, it is OK that the Moderator propose his own response as answer. Even in this case I am against the action of marking your own response as answer, but this is execrable to me. I will not do it and I do not do it usually. You can see the SQL Server forum in Hebrew for example or the C# forum in Hebrew. In both forums I am the only active Moderator, and yet I do not mark my own responses. Unfortunately there is no one else to help close threads and I have not seen any Microsoft representative that come to help... this is part of what led to the a situation that the forum die... people that come to the forum think that there is no answers and they go to search a different place to ask. In fact there had (almost) never been a question that was not answered in these forums. 

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Saturday, November 26, 2016 5:10 AM

All replies

• There's really no official policy on this. I think it's fine to do so if you actually answered your own question. Marking your own question as answer still would net you zero points.

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 1:46 PM
  • @Dave, like I stated in my original post, I was told by several Moderators that the original poster SHOULD NOT do this because it could lead to abuse and points gaming.

If there is "no official policy" on this shouldn't there at least be consistency and agreement between Moderators because when I started really getting actively involved in the forums I was doing this behavior and the Moderators I am speaking of actually unmarked my self answers ... and told me not to do it again.  And I agree with them.   I do not think it is good policy for the original poster to mark a later post they submit as the proposed answer.  Let this be handled by the Moderator.

Hah .... You didn't have to add the Disclaimer ... I'm not a lawyer and I'm not going to sue ... I'm just a regular developer/dba that loves this stuff and love to contribute and help to the extent I can

SOTATS, Inc.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:51 PM
  • You'll probably get different actions from moderators in different forums. I see the contingent contractors will routinely mark the OP's own reply as answer in some cases where the op actually answered their own. It's a judgment call. Say you asked some question, then while waiting did some research and found the answer, then posted your answer and marked it. I see no problem with that.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 2:59 PM
  •  for the original poster to mark a later post they submit as the proposed answer

This is a completely different topic.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 3:10 PM
  • @Dave, ... NP from me.  I just saw the new heading in the Alert emails and wanted to get some clarification.  It's not that big a deal really.  LIS I enjoy this regardless of the politics and actions.

SOTATS, Inc.

Thursday, November 24, 2016 3:24 PM

SOTATS, Inc.

Good day Ulysses B Brown Jr,

I will start from the end...

>> I had been told before by several Moderators that you should not "Mark as Answer" any reply that was posted by yourself.

This is one option of my respond to people that propose their own respond as an answer (I save it in text file and use it each time). I am not talking about Mark as Answer, but propose as answer, first.

XXXX, Please do not propose your own answer

By posting an answer we already know that you think that this is THE ANSWER, else why did you post it?!? as well any other person who post an answer. he is sure that he post THE ANSWER. The Idea of proposing an answer is to let someone else say that he also think that this is THE ANSWER.

If each person that think his response is the answer will propose his own answer, then all responses will be marked :-)

* Once you proposes a response as the answer, you might cause others not to read the thread, and the OP might miss responses that fit him better.

But this is not related to threads that you opened!

So... back to the case that you start the thread and Mark as Answer... If you open a thread, then you are responsible to close it. If there is no answer (partially or full answer) that fit to be marked, and if you post an answer that you found yourself (or in another place), then you should mark your response as the answer. You should close the thread to make sure that people do not wast time to read it and try to help if this is already not relevant. In this case is OK and you should do Mark as Answer.

But in my book proposing your own response as answer in someone else thread is unacceptable behavior in a forum (* except of specific administration cases). This is not polite and it's bad behavior.

* For administration purpose, and only in cases that the forum has a single active moderator, it is OK that the Moderator propose his own response as answer. Even in this case I am against the action of marking your own response as answer, but this is execrable to me. I will not do it and I do not do it usually. You can see the SQL Server forum in Hebrew for example or the C# forum in Hebrew. In both forums I am the only active Moderator, and yet I do not mark my own responses. Unfortunately there is no one else to help close threads and I have not seen any Microsoft representative that come to help... this is part of what led to the a situation that the forum die... people that come to the forum think that there is no answers and they go to search a different place to ask. In fact there had (almost) never been a question that was not answered in these forums. 

signature   Ronen Ariely
     [Personal Site]    [Blog]    [Facebook]    [Linkedin]

Saturday, November 26, 2016 5:10 AM
  • That verbiage is really in a bad English, BTW. 

Any reply that was posted...

Is no one proof-reading the text anymore?

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, December 15, 2016 2:34 PM
  • Me too. I think this is the correct behavior.

I even answered few of my own questions on StackOverflow.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

My TechNet articles

Thursday, December 15, 2016 2:36 PM