Not Ranking Properly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am sure it is a common catch cry, but our site is not ranking properly.

Our site ranks well (first page SERPs for local, state and in some cases national and international)...but only in those other search engines that should not be named in this forum ....well  not until one agrees to sell and the other stops being a self righteous monopoly....

Anyhoo, our site for whatever reason is not ranking well in MSN live. Initially our site was not being indexed back in May dispite being submitted 6 months earlier, (with sitemap and updates). I posted in this forum and the problem was fixed. I now have a problem with ranking; again only with Live search.

I would welcome suggestions and any insights from the powers that be and those that hover.

Regards,

Lordok.
    Thursday, July 31, 2008 1:13 PM

Answers

• Hi,

There is a possibility that our spam detection agent would id itself that way.

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:02 PM

All replies

• Whoops! forgot to add the site url: http://www.proofcreative.com.au
    Wednesday, August 6, 2008 12:24 AM
  • Whoops! Forgot to mention that it would be nice if someone replied...
    Monday, August 18, 2008 3:21 PM
  • Which keywords are you ranking well for in the other search engines, but not in Live?

... Duane

Thursday, August 21, 2008 11:13 AM
  • Hi Duane,

You name it... some small examples in the last month are listed below: (Pages from Australia)

Adelaide                                              MSN       Goo       Yahoo     
    Web design adelaide                             62-74       6-19      3-4
    web development adelaide                       45          1-11       1-3
    website development adelaide                16-21       4-11       1-6
    graphic design adelaide                         36-44       1-11       2-3
    logo design adelaide                             19-42        1-9         3
    search engine optimisation adelaide       62-74        5-8         7
    Annual report design SA                        26-35         1          1

Country wide
    Presentation folder design                      61             2           1
    Style Guide Design                              100+           2           2
    Brand Development                              100+           5           5
    Annual Report Design                           100+           4          1

The diiference, as you can see, is staggering. In some cases I have put in ranges to indicate movement and in other cases a single figure to indicate more stability in ranking.

Cheers

Lordok.
    Friday, August 22, 2008 3:03 AM
  • Could possibly be the TLD country designation of your backlinks. You have some .com and .net, but most are .com.au. We do take that into consideration in our ranking system. 

Monday, August 25, 2008 3:52 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks for your reply.

The search results I posted above were for the Live search pages from Australia (i.e. predominantly com.au). The Live webmaster tools shows that the site has 2,010 backlinks. And if the site has the majority of backlinks being from this country, then it should be performing ok (?) (assuming other metrics are ok).

We are getting links from, and being visited by, users from around the globe (including Australia) and for a couple of our keywords we are ranking on the first page of results world-wide in the other major SEs. Whilst we are proud of this, our core market, at this stage, is Australia. What it does highlight however is the difference between the other SEs and the Live results. I can only assume that there is something that is interfering with our results on the Live search engine.

I have also noticed that the Live search engine still has old site pages indexed, even though those pages have a 301 on them and have been removed from the sitemap (about 2 or more months ago). Perhaps this is interfering with the results? Is there a penalty for duplicate content within a site?

The site is optimised, informative and has unique content. I would welcome any suggestions for improvement that would remove the impediment to ranking well with the Live search engine.

Cheers,

Lordok.

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:27 AM
  • Hey Brett,

Up until recently we had on our site an IE6 specific template to allow IE6 visitors to view our site  (which is graphic rich and uses PNG transparencies). {Note: ALL the content was the same for ALL browsers}. The code would detect an IE6 visitor, load the IE6 specific template, overlay a div with advice that they should upgrade to IE7 to view the site properly, but also then allow them to proceed to the cut down template if they choose.

Since we anticipated that all other browsers and search bots would go through to the main template we did not pay a lot of attention to the IE6 template. And as our site uses transparent layers with background images and text over the top, we obviously wanted to encourage users to upgrade to IE7 to view the site as intended.

We have since discovered that the background colour for the IE6 template was the same as some of the text (we normally pick this up as part of the build). So even though the user would see the be able to see all the text (i.e. there is a dark image between the BG colour and the text), and no search bots would read this template (so there would no advantage to hiding text), we have become concerned as to whether the Live bot has been identifing itself as IE6 and could therefore be going through to IE6 template.

We have since removed this template, (although we have left the div informing users to upgrade) and now are showing IE6 users the site as IE6 shows it.  We would obviously like to re-instate the IE6 specific template, but not at  the expense of our  Live  rankings.

So my question is - Does the Live search bot identify itself as IE6 for its user agent? And therefore could it  have been going through to this IE6 template?

Cheers,

Lordok.

Friday, September 5, 2008 1:18 AM
  • Hi,

There is a possibility that our spam detection agent would id itself that way.

Friday, September 5, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Hi Brett,

Thanks for your answer. It will be interesting to see the what the effect of removing that template will have.

Cheers,

Lordok.
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 9:10 AM