Windows Home Server 2011 Question - Restore Files or Folders Problem - Cannot retrieve the backup information RRS feed

• Question

• Hello community.  I have run into an error that I have not seen a solution for in my searching.

I have WHS 2011 and I am attempting to validate that the backup process is working.

When I attempt to go through the Restore files or folders from the computer Dashboard wizard I am road blocked with the following error dialog:

The restore process did not succeed

Cannot retrieve the backup information

The server is unable to verify your authentication information.  Sign in to the Dashboard and try again.

A few more details:

* Logging into the Dashboard I am promoted for the Administrator password with the message "The server's authentication policy does not allow connection requests using saved credentials."

* The Backup status on the Dashboard reports as being successful.

* I can see that there are files under the Client Computer Backups folder

Thank you for any insight into troubleshooting this problem!

PDXPat

2013-04-09 Edit - Changed from WHS 2012 to WHS 2011

• Edited by PDXPat Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:00 AM
    Sunday, April 7, 2013 3:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for posting your issue in the forum.

Before going further, we’d better confirm the version of the server. Please understand that we do not have the WHS2012, if you mean WHS 2011 and since the backup wizard cannot retrieve the backup information from the server, I suggest we’d better make sure that Windows Server Server Backup Service is running on the server.

To start the server backup service

1. On      the server, click Start, and click Administrative Tools, and      then click Services.
    2. Scroll      down to and click Windows Server Server Backup Service. If the      status of the service is not Started, right-click the service, and      then click Start.
    3. Close      Services.

For details, please refer to the following article.

Troubleshooting Server Backup Configuration Errors

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/server-backup-configuration-2.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Problem solved.  The problem stemmed from credentials.

Solution was to deselect "Remember my credentials" box.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by PDXPat Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:14 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:38 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting your issue in the forum.

Before going further, we’d better confirm the version of the server. Please understand that we do not have the WHS2012, if you mean WHS 2011 and since the backup wizard cannot retrieve the backup information from the server, I suggest we’d better make sure that Windows Server Server Backup Service is running on the server.

To start the server backup service

1. On      the server, click Start, and click Administrative Tools, and      then click Services.
    2. Scroll      down to and click Windows Server Server Backup Service. If the      status of the service is not Started, right-click the service, and      then click Start.
    3. Close      Services.

For details, please refer to the following article.

Troubleshooting Server Backup Configuration Errors

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/server-backup-configuration-2.aspx

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Andy Qi

Andy Qi
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:29 AM
    Tuesday, April 9, 2013 8:04 AM
  • Hi Andy.  First, thank you for catching the bug in my last post.  Yes, I am running WHS 2011, not WHS 2012.

Second, yes, I did confirm that the Windows Swerver Server Backup Service is running (image below).

Thanks for looking into this.

PDXPat

Wednesday, April 10, 2013 2:09 AM
  • Problem solved.  The problem stemmed from credentials.

Solution was to deselect "Remember my credentials" box.

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Saturday, April 13, 2013 7:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by PDXPat Sunday, April 14, 2013 5:14 PM
    Saturday, April 13, 2013 6:38 PM