Shared Folders and Backups RRS feed

• Question

• New WHS user.  I'm curious what other users do about files that are in Shared Folders, ie My Pictures, and backups.  For example, if you use the automatic backup feature to backup C:\My Pictures, do you also have to copy that whole folder into the Shared Folder My Pictures?  Isn't that redundant?  Basically, you have the My Pictures folder stored 2 times on WHS.

In my case, the My Pictures folder I want to share is over 400GBs.  If I use automatic backups to back that folder up AND share in the Shared Folders, I'm using up 800GBs just for 1 folder.

Is there a more efficient way to do this?
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 8:20 PM

All replies

• First, the home computer backups are physically and logically separate from the server shares. So yes, you will wind up with multiple copies on your server in the scenario you propose.

Here's how I (I'm a part time professional photographer) deal with this scenario: When I've finished shooting, I load the images onto my computer (a laptop if I'm working on location, my desktop otherwise). I also copy them to safe storage (which could be my server, but is actually an external hard drive because I can use the same workflow wherever I'm shooting that way). I do initial tagging, sorting, color and exposure corrections (the usual) in Lightroom. Maybe I pull some images into Photoshop for further work. During this "work in process" phase, the images are on my desktop or laptop. This gets backed up to my home server nightly when home.

Once I'm done with a set of images, I put everything up on my home server in a duplicated share. I have rather more than you do, so I installed a couple of terabyte drives to allow for the disk usage. At this point I wipe the images off my local hard drive, because they're on my server in a duplicated share, and I have a backup of the originals which I then copy to other media as well as the external hard drive.

Your choices may not be the same as mine, but hopefully this gives you an idea of how others are handling the process.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 10:00 PM