Can I renew LiveOneCare by buying the new version RRS feed

• Question

• I installed LiveOneCare a little over a year ago. When i received a message to renew my subscription, instead of going to the MS website and paying $50, I did what everyone else does....I went to Amazon.com and purchased a new disk, version 2.0.  I thought that purchasing the newer version would provide me the latest LiveOneCare.

I uninstalled version 1.5 and tried to install 2.0.  It won't permit this as it wants me to renew going thru the MS website.

Am I screwed and just wasted $22 or is there a way to install 2.0 and get another 1 year of protection?

• Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:29 PM (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Update to Windows Live OneCare General)
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 2:21 AM

Answers

• I am going to move this post to the General topic folder.

You did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com/ and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare if you are renewing within 30 days of expiration and 5 days if renewal was performed between 90 and 30 days before expiration.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:27 PM

All replies

• I am going to move this post to the General topic folder.

You did not need to uninstall/reinstall. You simply needed to renew with the retail key.

Now that you reinstalled, by activating with the same LiveID, the new install inherited the subscription status of the existing subscription and you were not prompted for payment or a retail PIN/Key.

Go to http://billing.microsoft.com/ and sign in with your subscription LiveID. (Open OneCare and click help/about to view the subscription LiveID)

Select the OneCare subscription and click on the renew link.

Choose the option to renew with a prepaid PIN or token which is the retail product key.

Enter the 25 character key and proceed.

It can take up to 24 hours for the subscription status to be updated in OneCare if you are renewing within 30 days of expiration and 5 days if renewal was performed between 90 and 30 days before expiration.

-steve
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:27 PM
  • Oh, and "won't permit me" means that is wasn't installed or that it installed, but still wants you to renew? If the latter, then my first reply is the answer. If the former, please post back and we'll get you going.
    -steve
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 12:29 PM