Why does WHS backup PC immediately when PC is started, can this be controlled? RRS feed

• Question

• I have searched for this answer and have not found a solution. Maybe I am searching wrong as I can not believe I am the only one experiencing this problem. I have used WHS since the beta days and have absolutely loved it, it has saved me several times but it has one major annoying quirk. I have 5 PC's being backed up and they are all used at various times of the day so I have the backup time set for 23 hours a day. The problem is each day when you start a pc WHS immediately starts a backup and basically locks (or slows to a crawl) the PC until it is about 20% (plus or minus) complete, then it frees up resource so you can use the PC.  This causes most users to cancel the backup because the reason they are starting their PC is to use it not wait. Sometime you can't even log on if you wait a minute to do it because WHS is already backing up the PC.   Is there any way to control this, it would be real nice if it could wait until the PC is inactive.   Or better yet let me control the backup cycle, I would like to back them up maybe once a week or every 2-3 days, or pop up a window on the users PC and let them select when to do it each day (like click me when ready).   I have had to train them to start a manual backup sometime after they cancel the automatic one but my server is yellow many times because of cancelled backups.

Thanks in advance, Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 3:59 PM

Answers

• If:
    • You turn on your powered-off PC during the backup window, and
    • It has passed the randomly chosen time for it's daily/nightly backup (each pc chooses a time within the first half of the backup window to run it's next backup)
    Then it will usually start the backup immediately. And no, there is no way to disable this functionality (that I know of), other than setting the backup window to a time period when the PC will not normally be in use. There is also no way to change the schedule for backups, which is once per day.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:08 PM

All replies

• I have not run into this issue because I leave my PC's on 24-7. My scheduled jobs all run in the middle of the night when no-one is on the computer. Is it possible for you to leave your PC's on overnight so the backups can run?
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:13 PM
  • That is a major waste of $$ and electricity , why would I leave 5 PC's on 24 hours a day just so they can be backed up. The boys PC's are in their bedrooms and are loud, bright, gaming systems (I don't think they could sleep with them on :-) ). Sorry but this is not an option for me. 

I even have my server shut down and restart automatically via the board bios. No one is up and using the systems at 2am, so my server shuts down at 2am and starts back up at 6am. If someone really wants to use the server at that time they can just go down to the basement and push the button.  But this is about to change as I am installing home automation and security camera DVR software on WHS so it will be up 24 X 7.

But thanks for your reply.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:37 PM
  • Hi,
    The Clients don't need to be 'full on'; they will wake up from a sleep or hibernate state to do their backups and then return to their previous state.
    Also, once the intitial backup has been done, the subsequent backups usually only take a few minutes, therefore it should be possible to schedule the backup slot to cover a short period, for example from 7am to 9am, when people are up but not using their computers.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 5:46 PM
  • If:
    • You turn on your powered-off PC during the backup window, and
    • It has passed the randomly chosen time for it's daily/nightly backup (each pc chooses a time within the first half of the backup window to run it's next backup)
    Then it will usually start the backup immediately. And no, there is no way to disable this functionality (that I know of), other than setting the backup window to a time period when the PC will not normally be in use. There is also no way to change the schedule for backups, which is once per day.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 11:08 PM
  • This just seems like as the major feature of WHS, the backing of of user PC's, it would be better implemented. Why does it lock up or slow to a crawl the PC it is backing up? Why can't it wait until the PC is inactive (like another utility I use system mechanic which performs maintenance when the PC is idle)? Why can't I set parameters which are acceptable to me for number of backup failures before the system warns in yellow or red? Why can't each PC have a schedule rather than at the server level? 

It just seems that when a user turns on his/her PC they want to use it, I do not think they want to wait for 5 - 10 minutes while WHS does it thing. It is annoying and my family members are cancelling the backups. Like I said I now have them start a manual backup whenever they may not care about response time or they are walking away from the PC. 

Either way it could be a little more user friendly , but as we all know, this is not the family friendly, any one can do it even grandma server it was supposed to be. You need to be fairly technical to run one of these especially if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the responses.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 4:58 AM