none
Which path to follow MCPD or MCSD RRS feed

• Question

• Hi !
    I have done MCTS 70-515(Web Apps with .NET 4.0) and I wanted to become MCPD but Now I am seeing a new certification path which leads to MCSD however I have also done 70-480 by chance. Now I am afraid that if I follow MCPD path then it will get expired before I complete it because I cant give all exams before july 2014. I am totally confused now. Should I go for MCSD path ?
    Thursday, November 7, 2013 6:38 AM

Answers

• I can only offer my opinions - here they are.

There is a huge amount of preparation materials available now for the other three VS 2010 MCPD exams. Even MeasureUp and Transcender cover those exams. The MCSD exams are much newer and offer fewer preparatory materials, especially on 70-487 Azure (one book coming out at the end of this month - see Amazon). Are you sure you can't pass the other three exams before July? It's eight (8) months away.

I want to remind you that once you earn the VS 2010 MCPD Web App certification, you keep it for life.

The MCSD Web title is going to require you to recertify every two years. The recertification exam will probably be a subset of questions from all three MCSD exams (70-480, 70-486, 70-487), making it incredibly difficult to study for. Your transcript will state if your title is inactive if you don't renew.

Keep in mind that you will eventually have to earn the MCSD. However, your transcript will appear more experienced and valuable with both titles on it.

Cost is a factor as well. If money is an issue and your employer is not helping with exam costs or study tool costs, going right to MCSD is a cheaper route.

Good luck!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:48 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I can only offer my opinions - here they are.

There is a huge amount of preparation materials available now for the other three VS 2010 MCPD exams. Even MeasureUp and Transcender cover those exams. The MCSD exams are much newer and offer fewer preparatory materials, especially on 70-487 Azure (one book coming out at the end of this month - see Amazon). Are you sure you can't pass the other three exams before July? It's eight (8) months away.

I want to remind you that once you earn the VS 2010 MCPD Web App certification, you keep it for life.

The MCSD Web title is going to require you to recertify every two years. The recertification exam will probably be a subset of questions from all three MCSD exams (70-480, 70-486, 70-487), making it incredibly difficult to study for. Your transcript will state if your title is inactive if you don't renew.

Keep in mind that you will eventually have to earn the MCSD. However, your transcript will appear more experienced and valuable with both titles on it.

Cost is a factor as well. If money is an issue and your employer is not helping with exam costs or study tool costs, going right to MCSD is a cheaper route.

Good luck!

Thursday, November 7, 2013 8:48 PM
    Answerer
  • As an additional note, if you earn the MCPD now and you later want the MCSD you will be able to upgrade by taking a single exam (70-492), given that you have already passed 70-480. Since the MCPD doesn't need recertification (so you'll have it for life), your transcript will show you to be more experienced this way.

Friday, November 8, 2013 6:44 AM
  • Ashhar - I have to share one more opinion with you concerning Microsoft upgrade exams.

You see, the contents of the 70-492 upgrade exam is going to offer you a subset of questions from the two existing exams (70-486 and 70-487). The subset of questions will be those questions that are based on the skills shared between the exams. Note that I have not taken 70-492 so I am only speculating from what I've experienced taking upgrade exams in the past.

As a matter of fact, you can compare the "Skills Measured" outlines between the three exams and see where the Microsoft cert team "cherry-picked" topics from 70-486 and 70-487 to make up the contents of the 70-492. For example, it appears that Entity Framework in 70-487 was completely skipped for 70-492. Thankfully, the 70-492 exam will not be based on a random drawing of all questions in 70-486 or 70-487 - just those based on the 70-492 outline. You can even use 70-486/70-487 study tools for 70-492 - so long as you study the matching topics that are in the 70-492 exam!

It seems like more topics were drawn from 70-487 but it may still be 50/50. Only Microsoft knows.

I prefer exams that are more focused around one topic. I dislike upgrade exams because the topics are so varied. However, if you are really solid with Web API, MVC, Azure, WCF, jQuery - all for one exam - go for it!

Here are the links to the exams. Good luck!

Exam 70-492: Upgrade your MCPD: Web Developer 4 to MCSD: Web Applications

OR

Exam 70-486: Developing ASP.NET MVC 4 Web Applications
    AND
    Exam 70-487: Developing Windows Azure and Web Services

Friday, November 8, 2013 9:06 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the help you provided. Now I will do MCPD first before july 2014 then if necessary I will upgrade it to MCSD. So in that way I will have exposure of both paths.
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:35 AM