System Drive Recommenation RRS feed

• Question

• In WHS V1 it was recommended to use a large (or the largest) drive for the system drive. Is this still the case in Vail? Would a SSD @160gb be recommended or preferred? I don't wish to use the system drive for storage in case of failure. Are large files written to the "pool" directly without first "landing" on the system drive?

Thanks!

WF

Saturday, May 1, 2010 3:54 AM

Answers

• Also, kindly note that the tombstones and shadows no longer exist in Vail, the architecture has changed. So you no longer will have the system disks spared until the secondary disks get filled up. RAM should not have an impact on wirte speed.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:31 AM
  • The recommendation to use a large drive as the system drive in V1 came about because of the way Drive Extender used the system drive as a "landing zone"; that's no longer the case, so you can use a smaller drive if you like. I has to be at least 160 GB in size, though.

You can also exclude it from the storage pool, something that wasn't possible in V1.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:01 AM
  • The system disk is in constant use in any computer; it's where the page file resides by default (and I don't know if moving the page file would break the log collector; it might, so please don't). This doesn't change in Vail. That said, SSDs include sophisticated leveling algorithms to reduce the impact of this sort of use, so you should still get good life out of your disk.
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:11 PM

All replies

• The recommendation to use a large drive as the system drive in V1 came about because of the way Drive Extender used the system drive as a "landing zone"; that's no longer the case, so you can use a smaller drive if you like. I has to be at least 160 GB in size, though.

You can also exclude it from the storage pool, something that wasn't possible in V1.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:01 AM
  • Dear Ken,

I am also planning to build by Vail Homeserver this weekend and have a spare Intel 160Gb SSD drive. As the system disc is involved in many small read and writes as the tombstones are recorded I figured the Intel SSD would be a great choice. On my current homeserver I used 8 2TB WD Green discs but the system disc remains almost empty because the others aren't full yet. Also would 8Gb RAM allow faster writes of single files like a NAS, or are they not buffered this way?

Thanks as always, Ken,

Ian

Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:20 AM
  • Also, kindly note that the tombstones and shadows no longer exist in Vail, the architecture has changed. So you no longer will have the system disks spared until the secondary disks get filled up. RAM should not have an impact on wirte speed.
    Windows Home Server Team
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:31 AM
  • That is helpful, my question is then does each read or write of content involve any i/o on the system disc, if not then not much point in using an SSD. I understand from the release notes that one can elect to have the system drive excluded from the storage pool.

Thanks,

Ian

Saturday, May 1, 2010 8:00 AM
  • The system disk is in constant use in any computer; it's where the page file resides by default (and I don't know if moving the page file would break the log collector; it might, so please don't). This doesn't change in Vail. That said, SSDs include sophisticated leveling algorithms to reduce the impact of this sort of use, so you should still get good life out of your disk.
    Saturday, May 1, 2010 2:11 PM