none
Windows 10 upgrade and WHS 2011 Connector RRS feed

• Question

• I was running Win8.1 and upgraded to Win 10 today.  All went well except my connector software will not connect to the Windows Home server 2011 after the upgrade. It finally did on my HP laptop running 8.1, but not my HP Envy Desktop. I uninstalled the connector software, installed it again, but couldn't connect. Then, I remembered to use the syntax to go to the server and retrieve the latest connector software. I uninstalled the software I had reinstalled, then retrieved the latest. When I ran that, it found the server, but couldn't install because it said I had to let a previous install finish.  There is no install to finish that I can see, I uninstalled everything, and deleted all references to WHS using Regedit. I also deleted folders in Program Data.  Still cannot get rid of the message about an install that needs to complete.  It isn't a Win 10 problem alone because I had no problem in my laptop upgrade.   Any suggestions?

Jim Marcum

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 5:32 PM

Answers

• I solved the problem by the following:

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/787c7a6b-dff1-4ceb-b5ea-73bc3fb99b3c/

This one worked!!!

Jim Marcum

Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:09 PM
  • Dear all,

I had the same problem already with Windows 8 Systems. The reason is the new partitioning mode GPT on the hard disc, which WHS 2011 doesn´t know in its original version.

You should install the Hotfix from KB 2781272 on your WHS 2011, which will solve the problem. This works also with Windows 10 Clients.

After installing Windows 10 1511 I lost the backup configurations of the Windows 10 Clients. I think the reason is the assignment of a new SID during upgrade. Therefore no data on the WHS 2011 is assigned to the Windows 10 machine. The solution is to deinstall WHS 2011 Connector Software and then reinstall it using HTTP://<homeserver>/connect. Then make a new configuration for the Windows 10 machine on WHS 2011. Now everything works great again.

Have fun :-)

• Marked as answer by Jimmarcum Monday, November 30, 2015 2:25 PM
    Monday, November 30, 2015 8:45 AM
  • Thank you for that information. My backup is now running well and the problem is solved.  I was unable to download the KB 281272 as the server was unavailable. Whenever it is available, I will download it for the server.  I think I ran that back when I upgraded to Windows 8, but can't remember for sure.  In any case, all is well now. 

Jim Marcum

Monday, November 30, 2015 2:25 PM

All replies

• I had to reboot my server and then reboot my Windows 10 machine before the connector would work. I currently have the connector software running but the backup process fails after 1%. It did this same thing after I upgraded to Windows 8.1. Is there going to be an update to correct this?

Christopher Smith

Thursday, July 30, 2015 4:34 AM
  • I tried reboting both the server and my PC, but, it didn't solve the problem.  I don't know why the HP laptop running Win 8.1 upgraded and connected to the server, but my HP Envy also running Win 8.1 did not. I still get the error that I have to wait for a previous install to finish. There is no install waiting to finish, so I am lost here.

Jim Marcum

Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:51 PM
  • I solved the problem by the following:

To work around the pending reboot issue:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Source: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/787c7a6b-dff1-4ceb-b5ea-73bc3fb99b3c/

This one worked!!!

Jim Marcum

Thursday, July 30, 2015 9:09 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to let me know the result.

Your sharing might be helpful for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 31, 2015 1:24 AM
  • I had the same issues with a Win7 machine and found a pretty simple fix.

Uninstall the connector software

Reboot

Reinstall the connector software.

End

My current backup is at 18% and climbing so it looks like its going to work with the new OS.

Ron

Saturday, August 1, 2015 4:14 AM
  • Sorry. the WHS connector Software doesn't work with Win 10 Pro.

Microsoft has to release an update.

Tried with 2 Alienware R5 Computers very hard. With Win 8.1 no Problem, but after update to Win 10 Pro, no Chance.

Installed connector restart Client, restart Server , spend many hours. No Chance.

Please info to Microsoft for update of WHS connector Software.

Launchpad does not start at all. Backup Ends at 1%.

Dashboard does not connect. Installing works and Shows all is ok, BUT nothing is working :-((

Best wishes from germany

Alex

Sunday, August 2, 2015 7:57 PM
  • Sorry. the WHS connector Software doesn't work with Win 10 Pro.

My experience is different. I upgraded Win 7 Pro and Win 8.1 Pro to Win 10 Pro. The Win 7 desktop works fine. It has completed several daily backups. The only thing that remains is that when I get a Launchpad alert telling me that a Windows has an update, the link doesn't work to open Windows Update. The message is something to the effect that the troubleshooter doesn't work.

I did have problems getting Launchpad to start automatically on my former 8.1 laptop but after several uninstalls and reinstalls, it seems to be working okay.

Thursday, August 6, 2015 3:31 AM
  • I have same/similar issues.  I have upgraded 3 computers so far to Win 10 -- from Win7home, Win7Pro and Win8.1 pro.  Very mixed results for all 3, but basically, none of them connect the way they should.  On one, the Launchpad has NO TEXT on it (so it's worthless).  On all of them, the backups fail; perhaps at 1%, at least one will get to 19% before failing.  I've run dskchk and tried other fixes.  I think WHS is having problems, not the clients.  mho.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2015 10:51 AM
  • Well I have no problems doing backups on 3 computers that upgraded to windows 10, but I cannot open any backups. The
    Z drive flashes on the screen for a second and then is gone.

Not good. 

Monday, August 17, 2015 1:43 AM
  • Dear all,

I had the same problem already with Windows 8 Systems. The reason is the new partitioning mode GPT on the hard disc, which WHS 2011 doesn´t know in its original version.

You should install the Hotfix from KB 2781272 on your WHS 2011, which will solve the problem. This works also with Windows 10 Clients.

After installing Windows 10 1511 I lost the backup configurations of the Windows 10 Clients. I think the reason is the assignment of a new SID during upgrade. Therefore no data on the WHS 2011 is assigned to the Windows 10 machine. The solution is to deinstall WHS 2011 Connector Software and then reinstall it using HTTP://<homeserver>/connect. Then make a new configuration for the Windows 10 machine on WHS 2011. Now everything works great again.

Have fun :-)

Monday, November 30, 2015 8:45 AM
  • Thank you for that information. My backup is now running well and the problem is solved.  I was unable to download the KB 281272 as the server was unavailable. Whenever it is available, I will download it for the server.  I think I ran that back when I upgraded to Windows 8, but can't remember for sure.  In any case, all is well now. 

Jim Marcum

Monday, November 30, 2015 2:25 PM